Elevate the flavor of your favorite dishes with this easy truffle aioli recipe that can be effortlessly prepared in minutes. This refined condiment may sound intimidating, but rest assured it is incredibly simple to make. Best of all, there is no cooking required.
What is it?
My homemade truffle aioli recipe infuses classic mayonnaise with the earthy flavor of truffle oil, minced garlic, fresh cracked black pepper, and lemon juice. The savory truffle flavor and garlic are nicely offset by the bright taste of the lemon juice. This refined condiment is excellent to use with a variety of dishes from sandwiches to French fries either as a sauce, dressing, or even a savory truffle dip.
Truffle aioli is often referred to as truffle mayonnaise as well. Between the two terms, calling it aioli is more accurate because traditional aioli is a garlic-infused version of mayonnaise that often incorporates other flavors as well. A true truffle mayonnaise recipe would simply be homemade mayo with the addition of black or white truffle oil.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Mayo - You can either use store-bought mayo or make your own homemade mayonnaise with egg yolks, vinegar, and flavorings.
- Garlic cloves - Fresh garlic is best, but ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder can be substituted.
- Truffle oil - You can use white truffle oil or black truffle oil with this recipe. Most grocery stores will not stock truffle products, but you can order truffle oil on Amazon.
- Lemon juice - Fresh squeezed lemon juice is best, but bottled lemon juice will work too. Feel free to also add lemon zest. Alternatively, Dijon mustard can also be used to add acidity.
- Fresh ground black pepper - For best results, use fresh ground pepper. There is a big difference in flavor.
- Kosher salt - You can substitute a pinch of table salt, just make sure you use slightly less because the grains are smaller.
- Optional - Fresh herbs, such as fresh thyme, can be added to take the flavor in a different direction.
How to make it
Making this truffle mayo recipe is exceedingly simple. Begin by getting out a small bowl and into it add your mayo, minced garlic cloves, truffle oil, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
Whisk this sauce together with a fork until well combined. It can be used immediately, but the flavor is best when it is allowed to meld in the refrigerator overnight.
How to store it
Since truffle aioli is a mayo-based condiment it needs to be stored in the refrigerator rather than at room temperature. It is also important to keep it in an airtight container so any odors in the fridge don't soak into the mayo and create off-flavors. Your homemade truffle mayo should be enjoyed within two weeks.
How to use it
- Sandwiches - Truffle aioli gives turkey melts and gourmet burgers an instant flavor upgrade. Use it to make your own truffle burger.
- Dip - This is great as a truffle fries sauce to dip traditional French fries, potato chips, steak fries, or truffle fries.
- Sauce - Serve this homemade aioli as a delicious sauce drizzled over roasted vegetables like oven-roasted asparagus or broccoli and carrots.
- Dressing - Use this condiment as a dressing in your favorite salads, including potato salad and macaroni salad.
More Easy Condiments
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Truffle Aioli (Truffle Mayo)
- Condiment container
- In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, minced garlic, truffle oil, fresh lemon juice, black pepper, and kosher salt. Whisk together until well combined.
- Your truffle mayo can be used immediately, however, the flavor is best if allowed to meld in the refrigerator overnight.