McDonald’s Egg McMuffin recipe can easily be replicated in your own home, and can just as easily be used to make the Sausage McMuffin with Egg too!
I’ll admit, my wife and I have a guilty pleasure. Whenever we travel, we kick off our adventure by stopping at McDonald’s for Egg McMuffin breakfast sandwiches. I rarely go to McDonald’s otherwise, but this is my guilty little treat. Shhh, don’t tell!
Truth be told, I am kind of addicted to breakfast sandwiches. The question my wife gets the most from people about my website is, “Do you get to eat like this everyday?!” No, actually. Between a full time job, and maintaining a rapidly growing food blog, I find myself looking for quick meals most of the time, and there is nothing quicker and more satisfying to me than a good egg sandwich. I probably eat them more than any other meal.
After making a million egg sandwiches a thousand different ways I decided I wanted to replicate McDonald’s Egg McMuffin recipe in my own home, and it is surprisingly easy to do. Plus, this Egg McMuffin recipe works equally well as a Sausage McMuffin with Egg recipe too (my personal favorite)!
The trick to replicating the classic McDonald’s Egg McMuffin is creating the disc shaped egg patty. The best way I have found to do this is with an empty tuna can, lids removed (you may need a strong scissors or tin snips to cut the bottom out). Just spray the inside of the ring with pam to ensure the egg doesn’t stick, and you are ready to cook! Ingenious, right? Otherwise, I also found these cool egg rings on Amazon.com. I haven’t used them, but they claim to make perfect 4″ round egg patties, and I suspect they work well!
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps me buy cool things like ponies and spaceships, without any additional cost to you.
McDonald’s Egg McMuffin recipe uses Canadian bacon, however if you wish to cook up the Sausage McMuffin with Egg, you will just substitute breakfast sausage instead. Form the sausage into a large flat circle and cook in a skillet. The patty will shrink as it cooks, so make sure you start with a patty larger than the English muffin.
McDonald's Egg McMuffin Recipe
- English Muffin sliced
- 1 slice lean Canadian bacon
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice American cheese
- Egg ring
- 1 ice cube
- Lightly toast the English muffin till the interior is browning and then butter the inside of each slice.
- While the English Muffin is toasting spray your egg ring with cooking spray and place it in a lightly buttered skillet on medium heat.
- Add egg to the egg ring and pop the yolk with a pointed utensil, sprinkle egg lightly with salt.
- Add 1 ice cube to the skillet and cover. The steam created allows the top of the egg to firm up while the bottom cooks.
- Once the bottom of the egg is cooked and the top is starting to firm up flip the egg and remove the ring. Slide a knife around the edges of the ring to separate it from the egg if it is sticking. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Add slice of Canadian bacon to the skillet and cook until it is heated through, flipping once.
- Add American cheese to the bottom slice of the English muffin.
- Top cheese with egg patty.
- Add Canadian bacon and cover with the top slice of the English muffin.
If you enjoyed my McDonald’s Egg McMuffin recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.