This turkey melt sandwich is piled high with tender turkey slices and crisp bacon between two pieces of gooey melted cheese. Make this for a mouthwateringly easy lunch, worthy of any bistro, but effortless to whip up in your own kitchen.
Melts are like grilled cheese sandwiches, but with meat stacked in-between the slices of cheese! My turkey melt is buttered and toasted like every great grilled cheese then painted with a bright and tangy red wine-infused mayonnaise which brings it to a whole new level!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Deli turkey meat - I buy the smoked deli turkey, but any of your favorite varieties from the deli counter will work. Alternatively, rather than deli meat, you can even use leftover turkey.
- Bacon - I use regular cut, rather than thick-cut bacon slices for this sandwich.
- Cheese - Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss cheese, or Mozzarella cheese will all work well.
- Tomato - Choose a vine ripened tomato or beefsteak tomato.
- Sourdough bread - I think sourdough works best, but you can use your favorite sandwich bread.
- Red wine vinegar - You can substitute white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar too.
How to make the melt
This easy turkey melt recipe is just as simple to make as a classic grilled cheese. First, cook the bacon until crispy. This can be done in a frying pan over medium heat, or you can use your preferred method for cooking bacon. Next, warm the turkey meat. I lay it flat on a plate and microwave it for 30 seconds, but you can also warm it in a skillet.
Prepare the sandwich by buttering both bread slices on the outside. Then stack cheese, hot turkey meat, cooked bacon, tomato slices, and a second slice of cheese on the inside. Mix together the two tablespoons mayonnaise and red wine vinegar then spread that on the top slice of bread and place it on the sandwich.
Now your turkey melt is ready to be melted! Place it in a skillet set over medium-low heat and let the butter toast the bread until golden brown. Flip the melt and repeat until both sides are browned and the cheese is melted. Finally, slice in half and enjoy this delicious sandwich.
What to serve with a turkey melt
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Turkey Melt Sandwich
- ¼ pound deli turkey
- 3 strips bacon
- 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tomato sliced
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
Red Wine Vinegar Mayo
- 2 tablespoon mayo
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Mix together the mayo, red wine vinegar, and black pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Flip as needed, then remove and set aside.
- Warm the turkey meat by placing the slices flat on a plate and heating in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Butter the exterior of the bread and add cheese, turkey, bacon, tomato, and remaining slice of bread. Spread red wine vinegar mayo on the second slice of bread and place on top of the sandwich.
- Place the turkey sandwich in a skillet set over medium low heat and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Flip and repeat.
- Slice the sandwich in half and serve.