Add a bold kick to your favorite foods with this Cajun dipping sauce loaded with cajun seasonings and a splash of hot sauce. This creamy sauce is perfect for dipping your favorite fried foods, seafood, or just about anything else you crave dressed up with cajun flavors.
Best of all, this dip is loaded with simple ingredients and can be thrown together in five minutes or less. You don't even need to run to the local grocery store to pick up cajun seasoning, I'll show you how to make your own with seasonings likely already in your pantry!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Mayo - Your favorite brand of regular mayo will work just fine.
- Sour cream
- Dijon mustard - You can substitute a spicy brown mustard instead.
- Garlic clove - An extra ½ teaspoon of garlic powder can be substituted.
- Lemon juice - Bottled juice or fresh lemons both work well.
- Louisiana hot sauce - Tabasco sauce, Crystal hot sauce, or Red Rooster are all great options.
- Cajun seasoning - Although you can use store-bought seasoning, I recommend mixing up your own cajun spices with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. This mixture is based on my homemade creole seasoning recipe.
How to make it
My spicy cajun dipping sauce recipe will be ready in minutes, once you have the ingredients out and ready to go. To being, combine mayonnaise and sour cream together, then stir in mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, and hot sauce.
I prefer to mix the cajun seasoning separately in a small dish to ensure they are evenly blended. However, you can add them directly into the sauce instead. Whichever method you choose, make sure the sauce is whisked well to ensure everything is properly combined.
The sauce is ready to serve right away, but will be best if allowed to sit in your refrigerator overnight.
What to serve it with
You can serve this flavorful sauce with any of your favorite foods. However, here are a few delicious pairings to get you started with this simple recipe.
- This is the perfect dip to top crab cakes.
- Serve as a dipping sauce for French fries or sweet potato fries.
- Serve with fried fish (perfect for catfish) instead of tartar sauce.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Cajun shrimp or your favorite seafood.
- Serve with hush puppies.
- Serve this delicious cajun sauce with fried appetizers like fried green tomatoes or chicken tenders.
- Use this as a sandwich spread to jazz up your favorite deli sandwich.
How to store it
Store your homemade Cajun dipping sauce in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy it within a week, for best flavor.
More Cajun Recipes
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Cajun Dipping Sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth. Then add mustard, minced garlic, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add all of the cajun seasonings to a small bowl and mix them together well, then add them to the large bowl with the mayo mixture.
- This dip can be served immediately, but the flavor will improve if it sits in the refrigerator overnight.