This Cajun potatoes recipe adds a flavorful kick to boring roasted potato wedges. These deliciously crispy potatoes are a great side dish to liven up any meal! If you love Cajun cuisine, give these easy oven baked potato wedges a try!
What are they?
These crispy cajun potatoes are made from russet potatoes, cut into wedges, and roasted under high heat until the exterior is golden brown, and perfectly tender inside.
Think of this easy recipe as thick French fries or steak fries kicked up a notch with the flavors of Louisiana! If you love spicy food, add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to the mixture when coating the potatoes for an added zesty kick. Serve these flavorful wedges alongside a nice juicy burger or steak sandwich.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Russet potatoes - I don't recommend using a different kind of potato, like waxy potatoes because Russets bake up crispier than red potatoes or Yukon golds.
- Olive oil - a light coating of olive oil helps 'fry' the potatoes as they bake, creating a crisp crust.
- All purpose flour - Flour combines with the oil to create a crisp crust and breaded texture to the exterior of the potato wedges.
- Cajun spice mix - Feel free to substitute smoked paprika for a deeper flavor. This mix has similar flavors as my homemade creole seasoning. You can also substitute store-bought Cajun spice seasoning instead.
How to make them
Slicing the potatoes into eight wedges on your chopping board is typically perfect. Add them to a large bowl with oil, flour, and the spice mixture, then toss potatoes to coat evenly.
The potatoes should be placed on a baking tray in an even layer and roasted for about 30 minutes at 450 degrees. If the potatoes don't have crispy edges to your liking you can roast them longer.
Tip: I find if I lay the wedged upright, so the skin side of the potatoes are resting on the baking sheet, I don't have to flip them while roasting.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
- Baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice each potato into 8 wedges and place them into a large bowl.
- Add the oil, flour, and all seasoning into the bowl with potatoes and toss to evenly coat.
- Place potatoes standing up on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer, so the skin side is down, and roast for 30 minutes, or until crisp.
This recipe was originally published here on September 2, 2020.