This hearty chili without beans is packed with crumbled ground beef, plenty of tomatoes, onions, and a boldly flavored seasoning mixture. This easy recipe requires only simple ingredients and minimum prep work, making it easy to enjoy a flavorful no bean chili whenever the craving strikes!
What is it?
This no bean chili recipe is exactly what it sounds like - a classic homemade chili made without any chili beans added. In many regional variations, chili beans are commonly added to chili to use as a low-cost filler, and to add texture and flavor (similarly to making chili with noodles in the Midwest). However, for purists in certain parts of the country, beanless chili is the only "true" way to make it. This is particularly true with any Texas chili or hot dog chili for making chili dogs.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Lean ground beef - Leaner ground meats will have less excess grease and fewer calories. I think 85/15 beef is the sweet spot for making the best chili. You can also substitute most any other ground meat for chili, like ground turkey or venison.
- Sweet onions - You can substitute yellow or red onions.
- Green bell pepper - You can substitute any other green pepper, such as jalapeno or poblano pepper for an added kick.
- Cloves of Garlic
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Beef Stock - Beef broth is also a great option.
- Bay leaf
- All purpose flour - Flour is used as a thickener. You can also use masa harina or cornmeal.
- Chili seasoning - You can substitute ¼ cup of your favorite store-bought chili seasoning if it is salt free. Otherwise, if your grocery store only sells chili seasoning with salt added, just use the amount called for on the packet so it doesn't become over salted.
How to make it
To make this delicious chili recipe without beans we begin by sauteing the beef, onions, peppers, and garlic in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Cook until the ground beef is well browned and the vegetables are tender.
Next, reduce the burner to medium-low heat and stir the flour and chili seasonings into the meat mixture. Continue cooking for a minute or two to allow the seasonings to heat up and bloom. Then add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot.
Bring the chili pot to a simmer and cook uncovered for one hour, or until it has thickened to your liking. Serve with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, and chopped green onions.
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
This chili recipe without beans is perfect to make in advance because it reheats so well, and the flavor actually improves the next day as the ingredients meld in your refrigerator. Store any leftover beanless chili in an airtight container and reheat the leftovers to be eaten within one week.
Leftover chili can be reheated in the microwave or warmed back up in a saucepan on the stovetop. Alternatively, you can also use your slow cooker to keep it warm for a large crowd when serving this chili con carne at a party.
More Easy Chili Recipes
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Chili without Beans
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 medium sweet onions chopped
- 2 green bell peppers chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces canned Tomato Sauce
- 6 ounces canned tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups beef Stock unsalted
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup flour
- In a large Dutch oven or pot set over medium high heat, add the ground beef, chopped onions, peppers, and garlic and saute everything until the meat is browned and the onions and peppers are tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and sprinkle in the chili seasoning and flour. Stir to combine and cook for approximately two minutes while continuing to stir to prevent scorching.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients - diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, and bay leaves. Stir to combine, then bring everything to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to thicken then serve with your desired toppings.