These brown sugar and butter glazed baked ham sandwiches are basted in a delicious mixture of butter, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce while Swiss cheese gently cascades off slices of oven-roasted ham underneath golden-brown sweet dinner rolls.
These are perfect for serving at any holiday gathering or party. Otherwise, I also make these with leftover ham!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Baked ham - You need enough ham to cover the dinner rolls in two layers. In lieu of traditional baked ham, deli ham can be substituted, but it isn't ideal.
- Sweet dinner rolls - Hawaiian Rolls are recommended.
- Swiss cheese - Cut the cheese into squares to cover each slider.
- Butter - Melted butter is the base of your sauce that coats the rolls.
- Brown sugar - Brown sugar in the sauce is a nice contrast to the salty ham.
- Dijon mustard - Mustard adds a welcomed tanginess to the sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Onion powder
How to make them
Slice the sweet rolls in half and place the bottoms in a small baking dish. Pile two slices of ham on each roll, then top with cheese and upper bun.
Prepare the sauce by mixing together melted butter, brown sugar, Dijon, Worcestershire, and onion powder. Pour the sauce evenly over the top of the rolls so it is fully coated, then cover with foil and place in the refrigerator for two hours to set.
After two hours, remove from the fridge and place in a 375-degree oven for 10 minutes while still covered with foil. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Now they are hot, melty, and ready to serve!
Can these be made in advance?
Yes! This is such a great party meal precisely because they can be made in advance so easily. The day prior to your party, start the recipe and follow the direction until the sandwiches are placed in the refrigerator. Then stop.
This is the perfect make-ahead point because the sandwiches now can be left in the refrigerator until shortly before you wish to serve them. Simply remove from the fridge and bake.
Tips & Tricks
- Customize these sandwiches by adding crispy bacon slices over the ham!
- I like using spiral ham for these sandwiches because the pre-cut slices are the perfect thickness for stacking on the Hawaiian rolls.
Swiss cheese and Cheddar cheese are the two most popular kinds of cheese for ham sandwiches. For this recipe, Swiss plays best with all of the ingredients used.
Place the sandwiches in a baking dish covered with foil and set them in the oven at 180 degrees. Remove them from the oven and uncover when you are ready to serve.
Sliders are smaller than traditional sandwiches and therefore require fewer fillings. Two ounces of meat is typical per slider.
More Slider Recipes
Brown Sugar and Butter Glazed Baked Ham Sandwiches
- 24 slices baked ham
- 12 sweet dinner rolls sliced
- 3 slices Swiss cheese cut into quarters
- Place two slices of ham on each roll, or more if desired and top with a square of Swiss cheese and the top half of the roll.
- Place sandwiches into a small baking pan, ungreased.
- Combine all ingredients of the sauce in a dish and then pour evenly on top of the rolls, letting the excess pool at the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the baking pan with foil and refrigerate for 2 hours, or up to the next day.
- In a 375 degree preheated oven bake the covered pan for 10 minutes, uncover and continue baking for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and tops begin to brown.
- Serve immediately.