Boldy seasoned and smothered in your favorite barbeque flavors, these BBQ ground chicken sloppy Joes are easy to prepare and a sure crowd-pleaser. If you crave an easy dinner recipe, this effortless meal will be a hit with the whole family.
Traditional homemade sloppy Joes are made with beef, but there is no reason why you can't make this American classic with ground chicken breast as well. The great thing about this sloppy Joe recipe is it is lower in calories because ground chicken is leaner than ground beef.
Chicken is such a versatile meat, there are a lot of different directions you can take it. I created these BBQ chicken sloppy Joes because, first of all, barbeque always pairs well with chicken (such as with my BBQ chicken burgers), second of all, it is easy to make, and lastly, it just tastes good. You could even use it to make Loose Meat Sandwiches too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Lean ground chicken - You can substitute any other lean ground meat, such as ground turkey.
- Kosher salt - ½ teaspoon of table salt can be substituted.
- Worcestershire sauce - Soy sauce can be substituted.
- Brown sugar - You can omit sugar if desired.
- Smoked paprika - Regular or sweet paprika is also a great choice.
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Ground mustard - You can substitute prepared yellow mustard.
- Garlic powder - Feel free to use one or two fresh garlic cloves.
- Onion powder - For a heartier texture, saute chopped onions with the ground meat. You can also add green bell peppers.
- Liquid smoke
- Cayenne pepper - This can be removed if you are spice adverse, otherwise substitute chili powder or add hot sauce for a nice little kick.
- BBQ sauce - Homemade BBQ sauce, or your favorite brand from the grocery store are both fine to use.
- Hamburger buns - Brioche buns are my favorite, or use lettuce wraps for a low-carb alternative.
How to make them
I recommend using a non-stick skillet to make this recipe. Ground chicken is very lean and will stick to the large skillet if you don't add additional fat, such as vegetable oil. Using a large nonstick skillet allows the chicken to cook freely without the need for additional oil and calories.
This ground chicken sloppy joes recipe is a pretty straightforward dish to make. Simply brown the ground chicken in a skillet set over medium heat, while breaking apart into crumbles with a wooden spoon (olive oil can be added to assist with browning if desired).
Next, add the seasonings. You can add this as the chicken cooks, or wait until the meat is cooked through. Finally, add the barbecue sauce last, give the meat mixture a stir and you are ready to serve it up on hamburger buns with a quick slaw, such as my apple cider vinegar coleslaw.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Homemade sloppy Joes are great to make in advance because they can easily be reheated throughout the week for effortless meals. Make sure to store the leftover sloppy Joe mixture in an airtight container for no more than one week to preserve the flavor, then reheat it as needed in the microwave or gently on the stove top.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
BBQ Ground Chicken Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- Brown chicken in a skillet over medium heat, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks.
- Add seasonings and BBQ sauce, mix to combine.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
This recipe was originally published on July 15, 2019, here on FoxValleyFoodie.com.