This Mexican pizza is inspired by the classic Taco Bell menu item and can easily be customized to fit anyone’s tastes.
I wasn’t sure what to call this recipe exactly, it isn’t a traditional pizza by any stretch of the imagination, and it isn’t a true copycat replica of the iconic fast-food chain. However, it was inspired by Taco Bell, so let’s refer to it as “Taco Bell Style” Mexican Pizza.
To no one’s surprise, Mexican pizza is not actually Mexican food at all. It is a menu item popularized by the American fast-food chain, Taco Bell, using Mexican ingredients such as refried beans, taco meat and more.
Mexican pizzas are a two layer creation. The bottom layer is loaded with refried beans and seasoned beef and then topped with a corn tortilla which is loaded with melted cheese and additional toppings. Taco bell uses two crispy tortillas, however, I like to use a soft flour tortilla for the bottom later and a crisp corn tortilla for the second layer. Feel free to use whichever you like best.
Mexican Pizza Toppings
This is where you can get creative. There is an endless amount of topping you can add to your pizza. Taco Bell keeps it simple with an enchilada style “pizza” sauce, shredded cheese, and diced tomatoes. However, I think this dish can be improved with more exciting ingredients.
- Pico de Gallo – rather than using mild flavored tomatoes by themselves, pico de Gallo adds more of a punch while retaining that fresh, uncooked flavor.
- Salsa – Salsa makes a flavorful sauce for these pizzas, both salsa verde and traditional red salsa work equally well. You can put it under the cheese, or just add a dollop on top after the cheese has melted.
- Sour cream – Sour cream is an obvious addition to most Mexican dishes, however, you can jazz it up further by substituting my Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream.
- Shredded Cheese – use mild cheddar cheese or a taco blend. Alternatively, you could use nacho cheese sauce as well. I would put it directly on top of the beans and beef.
- Guacamole – Using chopped avocado or a prepared guacamole is a great way to add creaminess and additional flavor!
- Fresh vegetables – Chopped green onion or cilantro adds a fresh finishing touch.
- Hot Sauce – I load up everything with hot sauce every chance I get.
How to make it
Assemble the pizza by spreading a layer of beans on the flour tortilla, followed by taco meat. Then top with a corn torilla and a generous amount of cheese. These can be placed on a baking sheet and set in a 350 degree oven for 3-5 minutes. Once removed from the oven, add all of your desired toppings and serve.
More copycat recipes
Mexican Pizza – Taco Bell Style
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado (peeled and chopped)
- 1 sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place ground beef in a skillet set over medium heat and brown the beef.
- While beef is cooking heat your refried beans and lightly toast the flour tortillas in a separate skillet over medium high heat.
- When beef has browned mix in taco seasoning and remove from heat.
- Place flour tortillas on a baking sheet and spread 1/4 cup of refried beans on each tortilla. Then top with approximately 2 tablespoons of taco meat.
- Add corn tortilla to the pizza and sprinkle generously with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Place pizzas in the oven for 3-5 minutes to allow cheese to melt and corn tortillas to heat through.
- Remove from oven, add toppings of your choice and serve.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.