‘This is my fight song, take back my life song’… OK, truth be told, I hate that song. However, I have those incessantly annoying lyrics ringing through my head as I belly up to the computer to write about my delectable Black Bean Burger with Seared Apple and BBQ Sauce. I was hoping to publish this post this morning, but I’ve been sick all day. However, I am way too ambitious to waste a perfectly good day lying on the couch when I could be slumped over the computer instead. Carpe diem, and whatnot.
My Black Bean Burger with Seared Apple and BBQ Sauce is a tried and true recipe I’ve made for years. I actually developed this recipe when I briefly owned a food “truck”. Truck is in parenthesis because I think a vehicle should actually have to run in order to be deemed a “truck”. Nonetheless, the moral to this story is my Black Bean Burger recipe won’t leave you stranded in Georgia.
There are some tips and tricks to making a good black bean burger. As the name may allude to, black beans are the most important ingredient. That is what constitutes the “meat” of this vegetarian burger. You’ll want to ensure you sufficiently mash up the beans into a chunky paste when making this recipe. Failing to do so will result in an overly crumbly black bean burger. Additionally, I recommend using a sweet and slightly spicy BBQ sauce as the condiment. It plays real nicely with the hearty burger and the sweet Granny Smith apples.
You can use a fork to mash the beans, but I find a potato masher works more efficiently. It does a good job mashing a wide area while still leaving some beans in tact.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps the Fox Valley Foodie buy his kids a pony without any additional cost to you.
- 15oz can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ Green Pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ red onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp BBQ sauce
- ~1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Paprika and
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- Oil for skillet
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 4 Leaves Green Leaf Lettuce
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, cut into 16 slices
- BBQ Sauce
- Drain and rinse beans and then mash in a bowl to form a chunky paste.
- Add all remaining ingredients, minus oil, to the beans and combine thoroughly.
- Form into four patties.
- Place in lightly oiled skillet, working in batches as needed, and cook on medium heat until brown crust forms, flip and repeat. Patty should firm up during cooking, if not, turn down the heat and let it cook through.
- Lightly butter inside of buns and toast in heated skillet until buns begin to brown..
- Add apple slices to skillet and sear until tender, but not mushy.
- Place one slice of lettuce on each bun, top with black bean burger, 4 apple slices, and BBQ sauce.
- Serve Immediately
If you enjoyed my Black Bean Burger with Seared Apple and BBQ Sauce recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.
Subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie