Make homemade sausage balls without Bisquick from scratch for your next party with this easy recipe. I love this easy party appetizer recipe because the sausage balls are effortless to make, and require simple ingredients I typically keep on hand. Best of all, they taste great and are always a bit hit!
What are they?
These delicious sausage balls are an easy party appetizer made by mixing raw pork sausage meat with shredded cheese, and pancake mix without eggs. There is no deep frying necessary for this recipe, the sausage balls are baked in the oven until golden brown.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Pork sausage - You can substitute your favorite ground breakfast sausage. Choose the heat level to fit your personal preference. I like using Hot Jimmy Dean pork sausage to make spicy sausage balls. Otherwise, cayenne pepper can be added to your sausage mix as well.
- Sharp cheddar cheese - I find the best sausage balls use sharp cheddar, however, you can substitute your favorite cheese. Extra sharp cheddar cheese would be a great idea too.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Salt - A fine grain salt, such as table salt, is best.
- Ground black pepper - Fresh ground black pepper will have the best flavor.
- Onion powder - Garlic powder can also be added.
How to make them?
Making these cheesy sausage balls with no Bisquick is very similar to making traditional meatballs without eggs. All of the ingredients get added to a large mixing bowl and then using clean hands mix everything together until the ingredients are well combined.
Form meatballs the size of golf balls by rolling the mixture between the palms of your hands (using a cookie scoop is the best way to scoop the mixture). It is best to wet your palms to prevent the uncooked sausage balls from sticking to your skin. You can form the little balls into any size you wish, however, that will affect the total baking time.
Place the sausage cheese balls on a rimmed cookie sheet and place in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes, or until the balls are golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately with your preferred dipping sauce.
Dipping Sauces for Sausage Balls
You can use any of your favorite condiments with these sausage balls. The following sauces and condiments are my favorite dipping sauces to serve with sausage balls:
- Ranch dressing
- Spicy dipping sauce
- Cajun dipping sauce
- Hot sauce, such as my ghost pepper sauce.
- Honey Mustard
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
These sausage balls are best eaten fresh. The texture will not be as good when reheated and the balls will lose some moisture as well. However, any leftover sausage balls can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for five days and reheated in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Alternatively, the uncooked sausage balls will freeze well. Place them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to two months. Then thaw to room temperature and bake according to the recipe instructions.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Sausage Balls without Bisquick
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add all sausage ball ingredients to a large bowl or stand mixer and mix well to combine.
- Form the sausage mixture into golfball-sized balls, approximately two tablespoons each, and set the raw meatballs on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes, or until sausage balls are golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.