This pancake recipe without eggs yields incredibly moist and tender pancakes that will be the star of any breakfast. Unfortunately, diet restrictions can limit popular meals for some, but there is no need to take pancakes off that list. This easy recipe uses simple ingredients that can be prepared in no time!
My son raves these are his favorite pancakes. He doesn't know they are eggless pancakes, nor would he even care. He just simply thinks they taste great! In my opinion, the best pancakes are simply the ones your family loves, wouldn't you agree?
Why are there eggs in pancakes?
There are many good reasons eggs are used to make perfect pancakes. They provide moisture, richness, and most importantly, are needed to create fluffy pancakes. More specifically, the eggs provide structure to the batter and trap bubbles so the cakes rise higher while cooking. If I am looking to impress someone with incredibly fluffy pancakes I whip up a batch of my restaurant caliber buttermilk pancakes for them.
Will my homemade pancake recipe without eggs yield an equally towering stack of fluffy pancakes? In all honestly, no. And anyone who claims to have an incredibly fluffy eggless pancake recipe is lying, or at least exaggerating greatly. The fact is, without eggs your pancakes will never be as fluffy as a recipe that includes them. That doesn't mean they still won't taste great though!
Substitutes for Eggs in Pancakes
Some people substitute applesauce, mashed banana, or nut butter in their egg-free pancakes. You can certainly do this, but it changes the flavor too much for my tastes. The applesauce and mash bananas, in particular, will both add structure and moisture to create wonderfully delicious pancakes, but I prefer more traditional pancakes myself.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder - This recipe doesn't include any acidic agents for baking soda to react to, so we use baking powder instead. If using buttermilk, you can also add baking soda.
- Milk - Buttermilk can be substituted, or a little lemon juice can be added to mimic the acidity.
Can these be vegan pancakes?
Removing the eggs from this recipe isn't enough to make them vegan, the butter and milk has to go too. You can use vegetable oil instead, and non-dairy milk, such as almond milk or coconut milk, to transform these into vegan pancakes. The flavor will be best when using dairy products, but it will still be enjoyable without. Another good substitute you can make to create a healthier variation is using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
How to make pancakes without eggs
Prepare this recipe by first combining all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. This includes the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, mix the mix with vanilla extract, and melted butter. Then combine the two bowls together to create your pancake batter.
Tip: You can add more milk to thin out your batter if you think the batter consistency is too thick. Alternatively, if it gets too thin you can sprinkle in a little more flour.
Heat your griddle to 350 degrees and butter the surface. (If you don't own an electric griddle, feel free to use a nonstick frying pan instead.) Then ladle your pancake batter onto the hot griddle. I use ¼ measuring cup, but you can use a larger cup to create bigger pancakes. Let the pancakes cook until bubbles form on the surface, then give them a quick flip and let cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
Tip: You can save the dry ingredient mixture to have your own homemade pancake mix ready to go whenever the craving hits.
What to serve with pancakes?
Pancakes drizzled with maple syrup and melted butter is the classic way to serve this breakfast. However, I like mine smothered in strawberry jam as well. Restaurants also dust these with powdered sugar too.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Pancakes without Eggs
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter melted
- Maple syrup for serving
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Combine the wet ingredients separately by adding milk, vanilla extract, and melted butter to a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Once combined the liquid mixture can be added to the large bowl and mixed with the dry ingredients to form your batter.
- Heat your griddle to 350 degrees and butter the surface.
- Working in batches, pour ¼ cup of batter onto griddle and let the eggless batter cook until bubbles form. Flip the pancake and cook for an addition 1-2 minutes. Repeat until all of the batter has been used.
- Serve these delicious pancakes with additional butter and maple syrup.