Repurpose last night's meatloaf dinner into the best meatloaf sandwich topped with melty cheese and a tangy sauce made from scratch!
This hearty sandwich is perfect to craft an easy dinner with any leftover meatloaf.
What is it?
This easy recipe repurposes leftover meatloaf into a delicious sandwich made with Texas toast and your favorite toppings. A leftover meatloaf sandwich can be crafted from any of your favorite meatloaf recipes. However, if you would like to make one from scratch, my old fashioned meatloaf recipe would be a great option.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Leftover meatloaf - Any kind of meatloaf can be used to make this easy meatloaf sandwich.
- Texas toast - Toasted sourdough bread slices would be a great substitute. If you want to keep things simple, white bread is fine.
- Provolone cheese - Mozzarella cheese or Gouda cheese would also be fantastic.
- Fresh lettuce
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar - Balsamic vinegar is also great for the meatloaf sauce.
How to make it
The best leftover meatloaf sandwich recipe starts with the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar.
Set a large skillet over medium-low heat and add thick slices of leftover meatloaf to it. Slowly let it cook while it comes to temperature, flipping as needed to prevent burning. Place a slice of cheese on top of the meatloaf slice and let melt.
Tip: You can cover the skillet with a lid to melt the cheese faster if needed.
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Then in a separate skillet, brown the slices of Texas toast buttered side down until golden brown and crispy.
Assemble your hot meatloaf sandwich by adding lettuce, the thick slice of meatloaf, cheese, and sauce to your toasted slices of bread. Serve with steak fries, oven baked sweet potato fries, or crab french fries.
Storing Leftover Meatloaf
Leftover meatloaf can be stored in your refrigerator for up to one week in an airtight container. Leftover meatloaf sandwiches should be disassembled prior to storing because the bread will get soggy.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
- 1 slice meatloaf (cut 1" thick)
- 2 slices Texas toast (or sourdough)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice Provolone cheese
- 1 leaf lettuce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Prepare the sauce by mixing the ketchup, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar together. This is enough sauce for multiple sandwiches.
- Place cold slices of meatloaf in a skillet set over medium-low heat and gently bring them to temperature. Flip to cook both sides and top with cheese to melt.
- While meatloaf is reheating, spread butter on the outer slices of bread and brown in a separate skillet set over medium heat.
- Assemble sandwich by placing lettuce on bottom slice of bread, topping with meatloaf, cheese, sauce, toppings of your choice, and the remaining slice of bread.
This recipe was originally published here on April 18, 2020.