I would probably put blue cheese and bacon in my Cheerios if I had the chance. I am a firm believer that everything tastes better with a little moldy cheese and a slice of meat saturated in more smoke than a firefighter. Though, blue cheese and bacon in breakfast cereal may have a questionable ring to some, my Bacon Blue Cheese Burger with Balsamic Mayo certainly should not!
Lately I have become mildly addicted to that briny crumbled cheese and crisp smoked meat combo, and it has led to wonderful creations like this Blue Cheese and Bacon Guacamole Dip, which you REALLY need to try! However this Bacon Blue Cheese Burger with Balsamic Mayo is an old classic of mine that I have been making for years. As a matter of fact, it was one of my menu items when I briefly operated a food truck.
The secret to really making this burger taste as good as any restaurant has got to be using a quality bun. I have been known to stop by local restaurants to ask if I can just purchase four of their brioche buns to use for my homemade burgers! However, the buns in my pictures are pretzel buns I purchased from the bakery department at my local grocery store. It isn’t enough just to use good buns, the cut side must be buttered and lightly toasted. Not only does this provide additional flavor and texture, the heat also serves to lighten the bun so it isn’t as chewy to bite through.
Finally, when making my own burger patties from scratch I always use a cheap burger press and wax paper. The burger press is important because not only does it flatten the burger more evenly, but it also allows you to shape the burger with less effort. The more you have to work the meat, the tougher your burger will be. The wax paper allows you to easily store the patties, or prevent it from sticking to your hand as you place it in the pan.
The above links are affiliate links. Any Amazon purchases made through these links helps me buy important stuff for this website, like a yacht or a private jet.
Bacon Blue Cheese Burger with Balsamic Mayo
- 1 high quality bakery bun sliced
- 1/3 pound 80/20 hamburger flatted and shaped into a patty
- 1 slice of bacon cut in half
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 1 leaf green leaf lettuce
- 1 slice Red Onion thinly sliced
Balsamic Mayo (enough for 4 burgers)
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 3/4 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 grinds of fresh ground pepper or to taste
- Cook bacon till crispy and set aside.
- Place hamburger patty in hot skillet and cook on medium high until the top of the patty starts deepening in color, then flip.
- Add crumbled blue cheese to patty and top with slices of bacon and cook the patty to the desired doneness. Cooking time will vary depending on patty thickness and skillet temperature.
- While patty is cooking, butter the inside of the buns and lightly toast them face down in a separate skillet.
- To assemble, place green leaf lettuce on bottom bun, topped with onion, then burger patty, blue cheese, and bacon. Add ~1 tbsp balsamic mayo to the top bun and cover!
- Combine all ingredients and mix. More or less pepper can be added to taste.
If you enjoyed my Bacon Blue Cheese Burger with Balsamic Mayo recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.