These shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches are loaded with tender pulled chicken, tangy barbecue sauce, crisp slaw, and bread and butter pickles.
If you are looking for a use for leftover chicken, or just want an easy meal that is full of flavor, you can’t go wrong with this sandwich! You can make each component from scratch, or take it easy with store-bought ingredients. Both ways taste great.
Easy Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Shredded chicken, also called pulled chicken, makes for an easier sandwich to craft than battering and deep-frying a breast or even grilling up individual breasts. Pulled chicken is easiest because you can use a variety of cuts and shred them together, such as with rotisserie chicken, make the chicken in the slow cooker, or just use up whatever leftover chicken you have on hand for additional simplicity.
Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
- Chicken – 4 cups of shredded chicken is needed. One rotisserie chicken would be the perfect size.
- BBQ Sauce – You can use your favorite storebought brand, or make my BBQ sauce from scratch.
- Coleslaw – I recommend the shredded style of coleslaw, rather than chopped slaw. Shredded has better texture for a sandwich topping. Once again, you can use storebought slaw, but I humbly believe my homemade coleslaw will taste best.
- Pickles – The sweetness of bread and butter pickles adds a nice finishing touch to this sandwich.
- Buns – Brioche buns are fantastic for this, but a potato bun, or even ciabatta rolls would each be great. Whatever you choose, I highly recommend toasting the bun.
Best chicken to use
- Rotisserie chicken is my top choice. It is already cooked, the perfect size, and has great flavor. You just need to take the meat off the bones and shred it.
- Grilled Chicken would win the award for best flavor. I would turn to this recipe to use up any leftover grilled chicken.
- Slow cooker chicken would be the easiest method if you are cooking up chicken specifically to use in this recipe. A five pound chicken will take approximately 4 hours to fully cook in your crockpot.
More Uses for Rotisserie Chicken
Rotisserie chicken is such a lifesaver in the chicken. There are so many ways it can be repurposed to make mealtime easier. Besides these BBQ chicken sandwiches, here are a few more ideas for you to try!
Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Add shredded chicken to a large bowl and toss to combine with BBQ sauce until evenly coated.
- Lightly toast buns.
- Assemble sandwich by placing pulled chicken on the bottom bun, topped with coleslaw and pickles. Add the upper bun to the top and serve.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.