This chicken pita sandwich is loaded with fresh vegetables and tender chunks of chicken tossed in a bright and tangy sauce.
These easy chicken pitas are a perfect light dinner or lunch to serve alongside a grilled corn salad, roasted red pepper soup, or a fresh helping of black bean and corn salad. These dishes are all big on flavor, use simple ingredients, and are easy on the waistline!
What is it?
This chicken pita pocket recipe features tender chicken breast tossed in a tangy red wine vinegar and mayo dressing and loaded in pita pockets with sliced cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and spring greens. This exceptionally fresh-tasting sandwich is perfect for anyone looking for a great lunch idea.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pita pockets - You can use lightly toasted flatbread instead of pita pockets if you prefer.
- Cooked chicken - Leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken is great. Otherwise, you can purchase pre-cooked grilled chicken breasts from your grocery store as well.
- Mayonnaise - If you don't like mayo use a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil instead.
- Red wine vinegar - Lemon juice can be substituted.
- Ground black pepper - You can sprinkle in some garlic powder too if desired.
- Cucumber - Thinly sliced radish and sweet bell peppers would be a great substitution or addition.
- Roma tomatoes - Sliced cherry tomatoes work well as a substitution.
- Red onion - My quick pickled red onions would also be a fantastic upgrade.
- Mixed spring greens
Rather than using the red wine vinegar mayo sauce called for in the recipe, you can toss the chicken in my cilantro lime sour cream, or use hummus or tzatziki sauce instead. Feta cheese would also be a great addition to these chicken pitas.
How to make it
Prepare your chicken pita sandwiches by chopping the chicken into bite-sized pieces then toss them in a large bowl with the mayonnaise and red wine vinegar until evenly coated.
Stuff pita bread halves with the cooked chicken, sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, and a handful of spring greens. Serve immediately.
The ingredients for these chicken pita pockets should be stored separately because the pita will get soggy if everything is assembled and kept in the fridge. Any leftover chicken should be eaten within one week of being prepared and kept in an airtight container.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Chicken Pita Sandwich
- 4 pita pockets
- 12 ounces cooked and cooled chicken (approximately 1 rotisserie chicken)
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium cucumber (sliced)
- 2 roma tomatoes (sliced)
- ¼ medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup mixed spring greens
- Chop or shred the chicken and toss with mayo and red wine vinegar. Add a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper.
- Load chicken into pita pockets along with cucumber slices, tomatoes, onion, and greens. Serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published on March 11, 2020.