This chicken pita sandwich is loaded with fresh vegetables and tender chunks of chicken tossed in a bright and tangy sauce.
These easy pitas are a perfect light lunch to serve alongside a grilled corn salad, roasted red pepper soup, or a fresh helping of black bean and corn salad. These dishes are all big on flavor and easy on the waistline!
Chicken Pita Pocket
My chicken pita pocket features tender chicken breast tossed in a tangy red wine vinegar and mayo dressing and loaded in pita pockets with sliced cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and spring greens. This exceptionally fresh tasting sandwich is perfect for a light lunch.
How to make an easy chicken pita sandwich
When making lunch sandwiches I am a firm believer there should be minimal fuss required, so I wouldn't expect you to cook up chicken specifically for this meal. Instead, I recommend using leftover chicken in your fridge, or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, such as I also recommend for my chicken salad. Alternatively, these chicken pitas would be particularly flavorful with leftover grilled chicken breasts.
How to customize your pita pocket
There are many ways to customize this recipe beyond the type of chicken used. My chicken pita sandwiches are loaded with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and spring greens, however, you can swap out your favorite veggies, such as thinly sliced radish. My quick pickled red onions would also be a fantastic upgrade.
Rather than using the red wine vinegar mayo sauce called for in the recipe, you can toss the chicken in my cilantro lime sour cream, or use hummus instead. Finally, feel free to use lightly toasted flatbread instead of pita pockets if you prefer.
More Light Lunch Recipes
- Veggie Hummus Pita Sandwich - Loaded with crisp vegetables and creamy hummus.
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wraps - a fresh-tasting wrap that bursts with flavor!
- Chicken salad with grapes and pecans - A crunchy and fruity twist on the classic chicken salad.
- Avocado Egg Salad - a classic egg salad made with creamy avocado rather than mayo.
- Chicken Gyros - These homemade gyros also feature a homemade tzatziki sauce.
Chicken Pita Sandwich
- 4 pita pockets
- 12 ounces cooked and cooled chicken (approximately 1 rotisserie chicken)
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium cucumber (sliced)
- 2 roma tomatoes (sliced)
- ¼ medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup mixed spring greens
- Chop or shred the chicken and toss with mayo and red wine vinegar. Add a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper.
- Load chicken into pita pockets along with cucumber slices, tomatoes, onion, and greens. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply