The smoky bite of chipotle peppers infuses each creamy forkful of this chipotle chicken salad with a bold, complex flavor that packs just the right amount of kick.
Not only is this easy recipe packed with flavor, but it's also a healthier option that is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. Best of all, there is no cooking involved! You can quickly whip this up with a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
What is it?
Chipotle chicken salad is a dish that consists of tender shredded chicken mixed with diced onions and peppers, in a creamy chipotle salad dressing. Chicken salad is most often enjoyed as a light lunch, but it is also great to serve at potlucks and parties. It can be eaten on its own, as a sandwich with bread, or as a wrap.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Shredded skinless chicken breasts - I recommend using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for simplicity. However, making chicken salad with leftover grilled chicken adds a lot of flavor too!
- Mayo - Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for a healthier option.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - You want to use both the peppers and the sauce.
- Dijon mustard - Your favorite brown mustard is a great substitute.
- Red bell pepper - Any sweet pepper can be substituted.
- Red onion - A yellow onion can be substituted for a more mild flavor. Similarly, white onions also have a great crunch.
- Fresh Cilantro - Cilantro can be left out if you do not enjoy the flavor. Green onions are great to substitute.
- Smoked paprika - Regular paprika or sweet paprika are both great substitutes.
- Fresh ground black pepper
How to make it
This chipotle chicken salad recipe is just about the easiest meal you will make all week! Particularly, if you use leftover chicken or shred up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken into bite-sized pieces.
To make your chicken salad, add the shredded chicken, mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, Dijon mustard, diced bell pepper, diced onion, cilantro, paprika, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Mix well to combine and serve!
How to serve chicken salad
- On a bed of lettuce - Your chipotle chicken salad can be served as an easy lunch over a bed of romaine lettuce, or your favorite salad greens, and simply eaten with a fork.
- As a sandwich - This makes an incredible chipotle chicken salad sandwich if you serve it on a toasted bun. You can use whatever bread is lying around the house, but the flavors really come alive on an artisan roll.
- Chicken salad wrap - Use a flour tortilla or your favorite low-carb wrap along with some leafy greens.
- Low carb - For a low-carb option, this is delicious served open-faced loaded on a creamy avocado.
- Tortilla chips - The tender chicken and creamy dressing is a perfect contrast for enjoying on crunchy tortilla chips.
Chicken salad is great to meal prep in advance because the flavors continue to meld overnight, and it allows for hassle-free meals throughout the week. Store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. Since this has a mayo-based dressing, it should not be left out at room temperature for long periods of time.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast can use 1 rotisserie chicken, cooked & cooled
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Serve immediately, or you can make this in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for five days.