I love shopping for meals like this black bean and corn salad recipe at the grocery store. There is just something that feels great when you get to the checkout and you see a cart full of fresh produce. The only canned items are corn kernels and black beans, hardly something to feel bad about!
This healthy salad is effortless to make as well. You can prepare and mix together all of the ingredients in less than ten minutes!
- Black Beans - For simplicity, I recommend canned beans.
- Sweet Corn Kernels - You substitute frozen corn, but be sure to thaw it.
- Jalapeños - Use more or less depending on how much heat you want to pack into this dish.
- Red onion - Other onions can be substituted but the flavor of red onion works best here.
- Cherry tomatoes - If garden tomatoes are ripe, chop one of those up.
- Green onions
- Lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh Cilantro
How to make it
This is one of the easiest recipes you will ever make. Prepare all your ingredients then mix them together in a large bowl. It is as easy as that! The fresh cilantro and lime dressing can be mixed together separately, but it isn't nessesary.
If you don’t own a lime juicer, it is a good investment for your kitchen. It helps ensure you are getting the maximum juice out of each lime, so you don’t need to buy as many. Plus, it keeps your hands cleaner!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- This recipe is good on its own with chopped red onions, but it really pops if you want to take it up a level with the sweet tanginess of pickled red onions.
- Sweet bell peppers would be another great addition to this dish.
- If you wish to sweeten the dish up more, add a dollop of honey.
- Charring the corn or adding smoked paprika will deepen the flavor.
- This salad can even be served as a healthy dip for chips!
Yes, this salad can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yes, this is a vegetarian salad contain no dairy or meat products.
More hearty salads
Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime Juice
- 30 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 30 ounce can sweet corn kernels drained
- 2 jalapeños chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 5 tablespoon lime juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Prepare all ingredients and combine together in a large bowl.
- Serve immedinately or store in refrigerator.
This recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com in July 2015.