Make an ordinary steak extraordinary with this blue cheese crusted steak recipe. The tangy flavor of the crisp melty crust is the perfect topping to enhance each juicy bite of your favorite steak!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Beef steaks - You can use any of your favorite steaks. I find boneless steaks work best because the crust hides the bones, making the steak more difficult to cut. New York strips, ribeye steaks, and filet mignon are a few of my top recommendations.
- Blue Cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs - You can substitute plain breadcrumbs. Pork rinds can be used to make this low carb.
- Olive oil - Melted butter also works great.
- Garlic clove - Fresh garlic is best, but you can substitute garlic powder if needed.
- Chives - Other fresh herbs can be used, such as fresh thyme or green onions.
- Black pepper - I strongly recommend fresh ground black pepper.
How to make it
Making this easy blue cheese crusted steak recipe is foolproof. Simply combine the blue cheese, panko crumbs, olive oil, garlic, chives, and black pepper in a small dish and then place on top the steaks of your choice. This topping easily covers 3 large steaks.
To create a nice crust, place the topped steaks under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the blue cheese mixture starts turning golden brown. Just make sure you keep an eye on it so it does not burn.
How to cook your steaks
This recipe works well with whatever method you prefer to cook steaks, whether that be pan-seared, grilled, the reverse sear method, or even using my frozen steak recipe. The same principles apply regardless of the cooking method you choose:
- For best results, start with room temperature steaks.
- Make sure you sear your steaks over medium-high heat until a nice brown crust forms for added flavor and texture.
- Stop cooking the steak when the internal temperature is about 5 degrees from being done because it will continue to cook a bit while sitting under the broiler with the bleu cheese topping.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Blue Cheese Crusted Steak
- Large skillet
- Baking sheet
- 3 Steaks
- ½ cup Blue Cheese
- ⅓ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons Chopped Chives
- ½ teaspoon fresh Ground Pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together blue cheese, panko bread crumbs, olive oil, garlic, chives and ground pepper.
- Place steaks in a hot cast iron skillet and sear them until each side is browned and the interior is slightly less done than you want them (about 5 degrees less).
- Set broiler to high.
- Transfer steaks onto a baking sheet and press cheese mixture generously over the top of steaks.
- Set baking sheet with steaks under the broiler briefly until the blue cheese mixture browns. Rotate as needed if your broiler cooks unevenly and watch carefully to avoid burning. (approximately 2 minutes)
- Let steaks rest for 5 minutes and serve.
This recipe was originally published here on August 22, 2018.