This creamy jalapeno popper dip with bacon is a perfect party appetizer loaded with your favorite popper flavors along with smoky bits of crispy bacon mingling throughout. Your family and friends will love the bold flavor of this cheesy dip at your next party!
What is it?
Jalapeno popper dip is inspired by the famous appetizer of the same name. To replicate the classic popper flavor, it uses the same simple ingredients as a base - jalapenos, cream cheese, and breadcrumbs.
To form the right "dip" consistency I also add mayo and sour cream to the cream cheese mixture, using the same ratio as my spinach artichoke dip. Cream cheese alone would make the dip too thick to actually 'dip'.
I make my jalapeno popper dip with bacon and shredded cheddar cheese to amp up the flavor. The smoky bits of bacon really stand out. However, the 'secret ingredient' in this dip is ranch seasoning. You can packets of dry ranch seasoning by the dressings in your grocery store.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Bacon - I recommend regular-cut bacon for this recipe because thick-cut bacon can get gummy.
- Fresh jalapeno peppers - If you like a spicier dip, add more hot peppers. You can even substitute serrano peppers for added kick.
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese - Different types of cheese, like pepper jack cheese, can be substituted.
- Ranch seasoning
- Panko breadcrumbs - Plain bread crumbs can be substituted.
- Parmesan cheese
- Ranch seasoning
- Chips or Crackers for dipping - Ritz crackers, tortilla chips, or even toasted baguette slices are all great options.
How to make it
To make this easy jalapeno popper dip recipe with bacon, begin by cooking the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Then set the cooked bacon aside on paper towels to drain, and crumble into small pieces. Reserve some bacon fat in your skillet and saute the chopped jalapeno peppers next until tender.
In a separate pan, toast the panko bread crumbs with melted butter and ranch seasoning over medium heat until the bread crumbs turn golden brown. Then remove them from the pan and combine with Parmesan cheese.
Warning! - Sauteeing jalapenos releases capsaicin into the air, which may cause coughing fits if your kitchen is not well ventilated. If this is a concern, used canned jalapenos instead. However, sauteing fresh jalapenos in bacon fat will have the best flavor.
Finish preparing this easy dip by combining the softened cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream in a small oven-safe dish, then mix in the shredded cheese, ranch seasoning, crumbled bacon bits, and jalapenos into the cream cheese mixture with a hand mixer.
Finally, spread the toasted breadcrumbs mixture over the top of the dip and bake it in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve your bacon jalapeno popper dip with your favorite chips or crackers.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Jalapeno Popper Dip with Bacon
- 2 Large skillets
- ½ pound bacon
- 4 large jalapeno peppers (diced)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons ranch seasoning (see note)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon ranch seasoning
- Chips or Crackers for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from grease, let cool enough to handle and crumble.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and saute diced jalapenos until they begin to soften.
- In a separate skillet set over medium heat, prepare the topping by melting butter in the pan then stirring in the breadcrumbs and ranch seasoning. Cook until breadcrumbs begin to darken in color. Remove from heat and mix in Parmesan cheese.
- Prepare the dip by mixing together cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream in a bowl. Once blended add Cheddar, ranch seasoning, crumbled bacon, and jalapenos.
- Place dip in a 9" oven-safe skillet, or other small baking dish. Top with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, and serve.
This recipe was originally published here on August 13, 2019.