These Smothered Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Breasts are bathed in luxurious ranch-seasoned cream cheese, topped with crispy bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese.
Is bacon an emotion? I think it must be because I’m pretty sure I’m feeling bacon right now. There is just something intoxicating about a salty bite of crisp bacon jumping off a tender piece of chicken. Mix in the robust flavor of ranch seasoning and gooey melted cheese and now you really have my attention!
I’ve spent much of last week working on this recipe. Initially, I wanted to include a full meal in a pan by roasting potatoes with the chicken, but even when diced small the potatoes simply wouldn’t cook fast enough. You could make it work by par-boiling the potatoes first, but I wanted to keep the recipe simple and accessible for most home cooks.
The secret to the smothered creaminess of these Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Breasts is using cream cheese. I think using ranch dressing is often the obvious choice, but its texture is too thin to work well. It will simply melt into a puddle whereas cream cheese clings to the chicken like a child clings to his mother in a clown museum.
I recommend covering the chicken in foil for the first 15 minutes of baking, this helps prevent the cheese from over-baking and also helps your chicken bake faster. Overall though, your baking time will vary depending on how thick your chicken breasts are. I always recommend using a digital oven thermometer when cooking chicken to ensure it is neither under or overcooked.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps support FoxValleyFoodie.com at no additional cost to you.
Smothered Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 oz packet dry ranch seasoning
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon until crisp and chop into 1″ pieces.
- Add cream cheese and ranch seasoning to a bowl and mix to combine. (Tip: warming the cream cheese helps it mix much easier)
- Season chicken lightly with salt.
- Spread half of the mixture on the bottom of a 9×13″ baking pan and add chicken breasts to pan.
- Top chicken breasts evenly with remaining cream cheese.
- Add bacon and cheese to cover the chicken breasts.
- Cover with foil, and bake in the oven for 15 minute. Uncover and continue to bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (approx 15 more minutes).
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly and serve.
If you enjoyed reading my Smothered Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Breasts recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.