Buttermilk Ranch Potatoes au Gratin is a tangy twist on the classic comforting side dish with tender potatoes bathed in a rich creamy sauce seasoned boldly with ranch, under a crust of browned cheese.
Sometimes there is a communication gap between parents and their kids. After thumping his cousin in a video game our 6 year old made sure everyone within the tri-county area knew how good he was. Seizing this as a teaching opportunity, I began to explain to him how he needed to be a good sport. He quickly responded, "But I AM a good sport. I'm winning!"
Perhaps, I have a little more work to do.
That cumulated a rambunctious weekend with our household literally vibrating with excited children as we watched my nephews while my sister was on a weekend getaway. It is amazing how much two extra young boys can eat! They devoured the special meal I made them on Friday night featuring my homemade fast food burgers, served with this Buttermilk Ranch Potatoes au Gratin.
So either the meal was a hit, or my sister never feeds them.
Potatoes au Gratin is a classic comfort food side dish that I'm sure everyone is familiar with. I tweaked it by swapping out milk for buttermilk and adding ranch seasoning. It worked perfectly!
The creamy flavor of ranch really complimented the cheddar cheese, while buttermilk brightens the dish with a little more tanginess that you won't get by simply using milk. This Buttermilk Ranch Potato au Gratin recipe will be going in my rotation when I need a hearty crowd-pleasing side dish!
For the quickest way to slice all the potatoes, and to get the best uniformity, I recommend using a Mandoline Slicer. Not only does it make easy work of this Buttermilk Ranch Potatoes au Gratin, but you will find many other uses for it as well.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchases made through this link helps support FoxValleyFoodie.com at no additional cost to you.
Buttermilk Ranch Potatoes au Gratin
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 oz ranch seasoning packet
- 1 ½ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease the inside of a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Slice potatoes into ¼" thick rounds and layer flat in the baking dish.
- In saucepan on medium-low heat melt butter and add flour to form a roux. Whisk continually for 5 minutes to prevent roux from burning.
- When the roux begins to deepen in color add buttermilk slowly, mixing to combine as you pour.
- Add ranch seasoning and black pepper to taste.
- Slowly add ¾ cups shredded cheddar cheese in batches, ensuring each batch fully melts before more is added.
- Continue to cook until the mixture thickens slightly, taste and add salt only if needed.
- Pour sauce over potatoes in the baking dish, cover with foil and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover potatoes, add remaining ¾ cup of cheese and bake 25-30 more minutes. Cheese should be nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
If you enjoyed reading my Buttermilk Ranch Potatoes au Gratin recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.