I think you will agree, making Herb Stuffing from scratch tastes better than Stove Top. No box can compete with the vibrant flavor of fresh herbs bursting in every bite!
The most wonderful thing about stuffing
Is stuffing’s a wonderful thing.
The top is crusty and golden
And the bottom will make you sing!
It’s fluffy, roughly rather puffy,
Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun
But the most wonderful thing about stuffing
Is that Stove Top’s not the only one!
Ok pardon my lame poem. But let’s be honest, you’ll be singing it later. You’re welcome.
For years, Stove Top stuffing has been my guilty pleasure. I pretty much require it at every holiday gathering. Yeah, I know it pretty much has the texture of wet paper mache, but there is just something I just love about herb stuffing!
Herb Stuffing from Scratch
Stuffing is one side dish I rarely liked people’s made from scratch version better. I’ve never cared much for many of the additions people put in it. As far as my tongue is concerned, a good stuffing should be bursting with herb flavor, seasonings and perhaps some salty Parmesan. So finally a few years ago I set out to see if I could create my own version of Stove Top stuffing and created this herb stuffing made from scratch.
Well, I am happy to report, I succeeded. It is better than Stove Top. Why is my homemade stuffing better? It is baked, so it holds its shape better, it utilizes fresh herbs for a more exciting burst of flavor, and it is coated with a crust of Parmesan! What’s that you say? You don’t see any Parmesan cheese in my photos? Well, to be honest, I forgot. Oooooops!!!
This Herb Stuffing from Scratch recipe is the perfect compliment to your holiday meal. It also reheats nicely in the microwave if for some reason you have leftovers.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any Amazon purchase made through this link help support FoxValleyFoodie.com at no additional cost to you.
Herb Stuffing from Scratch
- 12 oz stuffing croutons unseasoned
- 2 cups chicken/turkey broth heated
- 1 stick butter divided
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt as to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet, and sauté onions and celery until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic, remaining butter, herbs and ground pepper and cook for two more minutes.
- Add croutons to a large bowl and pour stock over, then add butter mixture, and combine thoroughly.
- Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Transfer to 3-quart, or larger, baking dish and top with parmesan cheese and place in oven for 25 minutes. Cover the dish with aluminum foil for softer stuffing or leave uncovered for a crispy crust.
This Herb Stuffing recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com December 5, 21015.
If you enjoyed my Herb Stuffing from Scratch recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.