These hearty roasted portobello mushroom caps are loaded with pasta sauce, Parmesan cheese, and crunchy pine nuts. This easy recipe only requires four simple ingredients and makes a tantalizingly healthy side dish or an equally filling vegetarian entree for any fan of mushrooms.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Medium - Large Portobello mushrooms - This recipe will work with different types of mushrooms. Button mushrooms or baby bellas work well for a bite-sized appetizer.
- Pasta sauce - Marinara sauce also works well.
- Pine nuts - Chopped walnuts or pecans can be substituted.
- Parmesan cheese - For a cheesier dish, you can substitute mozzarella cheese.
- Customize this recipe - Add additional toppings such as crushed red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, or fresh herbs.
How to make it
Begin making this roasted portobello mushrooms recipe by removing the stem and gills from your mushrooms, and place the mushrooms upside down on a sheet pan so they act like a bowl.
Note: As the portobello mushrooms roast they will release juices. For this reason, you will want to use a rimmed baking sheet for roasting. The rim surrounding the sheet will keep all of the juices from dribbling onto the floor of your oven.
Fill each mushroom cap with pasta sauce, then sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Keep in mind, mushroom caps come in a wide range of sizes so the amount of filling you need will vary considerably as well. Think of it like making a pizza, and just use enough for adequate coverage and topping.
Place the mushroom caps in an oven preheated to 400 degrees and bake mushrooms for 14 minutes, or until the mushrooms and tender and cooked through. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your mushrooms.
Remove from the oven, and serve immediately.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
You can roast these mushrooms in advance to enjoy throughout the week because the leftovers reheat really well in the microwave. Simply store your roasted mushrooms in an airtight container for up to seven days, and reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until they are heated through.
Roasted Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 4 medium portobello mushrooms stem and gills removed
- ½ cup pasta sauce
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts
- 4 teaspoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Placing mushroom upside down, fill the cap of each mushroom with 2 tablespoons of pasta sauce, or enough to cover (amounts vary depending on mushroom size).
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of pine nuts over the pasta sauce and then top with parmesan.
- Place mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10-14 minutes depending on size, or until tender.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately!
This recipe was originally published February 8, 2017 here on FoxValleyFoodie.com.