This decadent Christmas fudge is bursting with rich chocolate flavor and bright accents of peppermint, this creamy fudge is sure to become a new Christmas time tradition in your family!
Amongst the mountain of sweet treats my mother prepared each holiday season, the one I looked forward to the most was her classic chocolate fudge! This rich and creamy decadent dessert was the perfect holiday treat in my opinion. Oh, and I savored each and every bite! Ok, savored may not be the right word, "inhaled" may be more accurate.
What is it?
Christmas fudge is a thick mixture of simple ingredients including semi-sweet chocolate, instant chocolate pudding, butter, and powdered sugar. Peppermint extract is added as a flavoring and everything is placed in an 8" x 8" baking dish and set in the fridge to firm up. There is no need for fancy equipment like a candy thermometer or even a double boiler in this easy fudge recipe!
This Christmas fudge recipe makes the perfect holiday fudge because it contains all of the quintessential seasonal flavors you expect in a Christmas treat. Rich chocolate fudge is accented with the bright flavor of peppermint and then painted with a layer of chocolate frosting and topped with marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy. If I could eat Santa's workshop, I suspect it would taste like this delicious treat.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips - You can substitute dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips.
- Peppermint extract - This can be left out if you do not enjoy the flavor of peppermint.
- Chocolate flavor instant pudding - Chocolate is recommended, but feel free to use your favorite pudding flavors.
- Powdered sugar
- Mini marshmallows
- Peppermint candy - Candy canes are a great substitute.
How to make it
Begin making this easy Christmas fudge recipe by placing four ounces of chocolate, six ounces of butter, and water in a large mixing bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave and melt chocolate and butter together for two minutes. Stir everything together and add the peppermint extract along with your instant pudding packet. Stir again for two minutes to ensure it is well combined.
Slowly add your powdered sugar in batches, while continuing to mix. Ensure it is well blended prior to adding more.
Place the fudge mixture in a small baking dish lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper that has been greased with cooking spray. Then press the fudge into an even layer.
Place your remaining chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for ninety seconds, then stir to combine the melted chocolate and butter. Spread the chocolate mixture over the fudge with a rubber spatula while it is still hot and top with marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy. Set the prepared pan of fudge in your refrigerator for at least two hours to firm, then slice with a butter knife and serve.
How to store fudge
Store any leftover Christmas fudge at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three weeks. If you would like to make it further in advance, the homemade fudge can be frozen as well. Once set, refrigerating your fudge for extended periods of time can dry it out.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
- 8x8" Baking Dish
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup butter (divided)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 3.9 oz package chocolate flavor instant pudding
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cups mini marshmallows
- ⅓ cup peppermint candy (crushed)
- Microwave 4 oz chocolate, 6 tablespoons butter, and ½ cup water in a large bowl for 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir to combine. Add peppermint extract and instant pudding mix and stir for 2 additional minutes to ensure everything is well blended.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and continue to mix until well blended.
- Place the fudge mixture in a square baking pan lined with greased aluminum foil. Press with the back of a spatula to smooth the mixture in the pan.
- Microwave remaining butter and chocolate in a bowl for 1 ½ minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir to combine then spread over the top of the fudge mixture in the pan. Top with marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy.
- Place fudge in the refrigerator for 2 hours to firm up, then cut and serve.
This recipe was originally published here on December 14, 2018.