Don't let those delicious leftover pie scraps go to waste. Repurpose them into decadent pie dough cinnamon rolls with butter, cinnamon, and sugar.
This is a recipe that came down from my grandma who spent many hours baking pies with my mom and her siblings when they were young, and inevitably there would always be excess pie dough leftover. This was certainly not a bad problem to have; though, while some people may be content to just snack on the pie dough, my grandma rolled them into these delectable cookie-like treats.
What are Pie Dough Cinnamon Rolls
These pie dough cinnamon rolls are a savory concoction comprised of your leftover pie dough, a liberal slathering of butter, as well as a generous dose of cinnamon and sugar! Most people call them pie dough pinwheels or pie dough cinnamon rolls. However, my grandma called them pie dough piggies because my aunt decided they looked like pigs. I call it a great use for pie scraps!
How to make them
The ingredient quantities you will need will vary depending on how much pie dough scraps you have on hand, but don't worry, this recipe is all about eyeballing everything anyhow.
Lay out your leftover dough and roll it flat, into a rectangle, using the same thickness you would typically use for a pie crust. Liberally paint butter over the entire side facing up. Butter provides the "glue" for the cinnamon and sugar to stick to, so you want to use plenty of it.
Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar and cinnamon over the butter to fully coat, being sure to reach the edges. Then cut the pie dough into strips and roll them up into individual cinnamon rolls.
Bake the rolls in a 350 degree oven until no longer raw, up to 45 minutes. When fully cooked they taste like a cinnamon roll with the texture of a crisp cookie.
More Pie Desserts
- Butterfinger Pie - An absolute must for any Butterfinger lovers.
- Caramel and Chocolate Marshmallow Cream Pie - Light and fluffy and incredibly decadent.
- Classic Cheesecake - This traditional recipe will fix any craving.
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake - Easy to make, and incredibly creamy!
Pie Dough Piggies
- Leftover pie dough
- Butter softened
- Roll out leftover pie dough into long a rectangle.
- Butter liberally on the side facing up until fully covered.
- Sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon until well coated.
- Cut into strips appx 1 1/2" wide.
- Roll up strips and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until no longer raw.
This recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com June 23, 2015.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.