My bacon jalapeno popper pinwheels recipe is the perfect appetizer for your next party. Tender flour tortillas are bursting with ranch-seasoned cream cheese, lively bits of jalapeno, and hearty chunks of smoky bacon in each bite.
This easy pinwheel recipe is filled with the classic jalapeno popper flavor you already love, but unlike their deep-fried counterparts, they can be made in advance. This great appetizer is a real crowd pleaser that your guests will have devoured in no time!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Flour tortillas - 10" tortillas are recommended
- Cream cheese - Sour cream could be combined with the cream cheese for a lighter texture.
- Ranch seasoning - You need one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. You will find this in the dressing aisle of your grocery store.
- Bacon - Bacon can be optional, but I make this jalapeño popper pinwheels recipe with bacon because it really adds another dimension of flavor. You can also substitute real bacon bits.
- Fresh jalapeño peppers
Optional: I did not include cheddar cheese with the filling ingredients for these tasty pinwheels, but I strongly considered it. If you wish to add cheese, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese would be a great addition.
How to make them
The first step to making this easy jalapeno popper pinwheel recipe is to prepare the ingredients. Start by cooking your bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Then remove from the pan and set on paper towels to drain. Then break the strips into small crumbles.
Next, scoop out the seeds from the interior of your fresh jalapenos, then finely chop the peppers into small pieces and place them in your skillet along with one tablespoon of reserved bacon grease. Cook until they soften.
Mix cream cheese, ranch seasoning, bacon crumbles, and jalapenos together in a mixing bowl until well combined. Scoop out approximately ½ cup of the jalapeno popper filling and spread it evenly over one side of each tortilla.
Roll up each tortilla tightly and set them in a baking dish with the seam side facing down. Cover the dish in plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator for at least two hours to soften to allow the flavors to meld. Then cut each rollup into one inch thick pieces with a sharp knife and serve.
Jalapeno popper roll ups taste best when made at least a couple of hours in advance, but they can even be prepared a day or more prior. Keep leftover pinwheels in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoy this spicy treat within one week.
Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
- Large skillet
- 4 flour tortillas (8"-10")
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning (this equals one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning)
- ½ pound bacon
- 4 jalapenos (finely chopped)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy, then remove and crumble into small pieces. Reserve one tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan.
- Cut jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Finely chop the jalapenos and add to the skillet with bacon grease. Cook until softened.
- Add cream cheese, ranch seasoning, crumbled bacon, and jalapenos to a large bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Scoop out ½ cup of the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly across one side of each tortilla.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up each tortilla and place it on a baking sheet seam side down.
- Cover the rolled tortillas in plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator for two hours or longer to soften and absorb the flavors. Then cut into one inch pieces with a serrated knife and serve.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.