This cold crab dip with cream cheese is effortless to prepare and loaded with real crab meat. This easy dip is the perfect party appetizer because not only can it be prepared in minutes, but it is also ideal for making in advance.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cream cheese
- Mayonnaise - This dip would also work with sour cream.
- Fancy lump crab meat - Fresh crab or canned lump crab meat works well. To equal the 12 ounces of canned crab meat called for in this recipe, you will need 9 ounces of cooked fresh crab. Otherwise, you can use imitation crab meat, but the flavor will suffer.
- Green onions - Chives can be substituted.
- Fresh lemon juice - Lemon zest can also be added.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder - You can substitute a clove of garlic (minced).
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Franks Red Hot Sauce - You can substitute another similar vinegar-based hot sauce.
- Table salt
My easy crab dip recipe is a fantastic basic recipe that is perfect for adding your own personality to. Dress it up your way by adding cajun seasonings, Old Bay seasoning, cheese, smoked paprika, or whatever flavor fits your fancy.
How to make it
To make this easy cold crab dip recipe simply add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well to combine with a fork or hand mixer.
Cold crab dip is the perfect appetizer to make in advance because it actually tastes better when the flavors are allowed to meld together in the refrigerator overnight. Otherwise, if you are pressed for time, it can be enjoyed immediately.
How to Serve Crab Dip
Crab dip can be enjoyed hot or cold. If I am making a hot crab dip I typically add mozzarella cheese to it for all of the melty goodness it provides. However, this crab dip recipe is ideal for serving cold, or at room temperature. If you wish to serve this dip hot, it can be microwaved until heated through.
Since this is a dairy-based dip, I do not recommend letting it sit out at a party for longer than 4 hours, unless you can keep it chilled. Using an iced serving dish is a perfect way to extend the safety of the dip during longer parties.
The choices for what to serve with your cold crab dip are only limited by your imagination. Tortilla chips and crackers are always safe choices, pita chips, in particular, are fantastic. Otherwise, a toasted baguette can be used to create a more refined appetizer. One of my favorite things for any dip is crispy baked potato skins!
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Cold Crab Dip
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Crab dip can be enjoyed right away, but the flavor is best if allowed to meld in the refrigerator overnight.
This recipe was originally published December 18, 2018 here on FoxValleyFoodie.com.