Honey roasted chickpeas are dusted with a special homemade seasoning before being roasted to crunchy perfection! These sweetened chickpeas are one great snack that you don't have to feel guilty about munching on!
What are they?
When you are craving satisfyingly crunchy snack foods these honey roasted chickpeas with Turkish seasoning certainly fit the bill. Crispy chickpeas are sweetened with honey, loaded with seasoning, and roasted! This healthy snack gives you that satisfying salty crunch you crave, with none of the guilt. The seasoning I use on these is my favorite all-purpose Turkish-inspired seasoning blend that I've created. I always keep some extra on hand because it also tastes amazing dusted on sweet potato fries!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Canned chickpeas - These are also known as garbanzo beans. You will need two 15 ounce cans.
- Honey - Maple syrup could be substituted but it will change the flavor considerably.
- Table salt - You can also use sea salt.
- Fresh ground black pepper - I specifically recommend fresh ground pepper because you will notice the difference in flavor over pre-ground black pepper.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Paprika - Smoked paprika will give it a deeper flavor, or use sweet paprika for more of a kick. Otherwise, cayenne pepper is a great addition if you want some heat on this delicious snack.
How to make them
This easy honey roasted chickpeas recipe begins by draining the chickpeas from the cans, then dry chickpeas by patting them with a paper towel. Once dry, they are coated with honey by tossing them together in a small bowl. Then we create the spice blend by mixing the seasonings together and liberally dusting the chickpeas. There is no need for olive oil, the honey will help the seasoning stick well.
Place everything on a rimmed baking sheet and roast chickpeas for 35-40 minutes in a 425 degree oven. You will want to stir them halfway through baking.
Honey roasted chickpeas are easy to make. The only trick, if there is one, is when to take them out of the oven. Oven times vary so don't be afraid check on them periodically. You are looking for them to have a bit of a crunch. If they still feel soft when you bite into them, you will want to leave them to bake a bit longer.
For best results, I roast these on my nonstick baking mats. They are easy to clean, and nothing sticks to them. Most nonstick baking sheets aren't dishwasher safe, so I like the ease of cleanup when using these, plus I don't have to worry about ruining anymore pans when I burn food onto them. Otherwise, parchment paper and aluminum foil also work well.
Leftover roasted chickpeas should be stored in an airtight container, such as a sealed glass jar to preserve freshness. These can be stored at room temperature on your kitchen counter or in the cabinet. Do not store these in the refrigerator or they will become mushy. I recommend eating these within a week.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Honey Roasted Chickpeas
- 30 ounces canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Spice Mixture
- Drain, rinse, and pat the chickpeas dry with paper towels.
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and add honey, stirring to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle in two tablespoons of the spice blend and stir to ensure the spices are evenly coating the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven, preheated to 425 degrees.
- Let the chickpeas roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Chickpeas are done when crunchy and no longer soft when bitten.
- Let cool and store in airtight container.
This recipe was originally published October 14, 2015 on FoxValleyFoodie.com.