This vibrant black rice salad recipe is tossed with fresh fruit and vegetables and tossed in a bright coconut and citrus dressing.
I love this fresh salad recipe because it does not compromise flavor. This healthy salad can be enjoyed guilt-free while you savor each bright and tangy forkful of fresh ingredients. Best of all, this colorful salad is filling enough to enjoy on its own for a healthy lunch, or serve as a side dish. You are going to be blown away by the flavor, I promise!
What is it?
My black rice salad is a mixture of black rice, and fresh fruit such as sweet mango and orange, red onions, peanuts, and cilantro tossed with coconut milk and orange juice dressing. The dressing is similar to a simple vinaigrette, but it uses coconut milk rather than olive oil.
So what the heck is black rice? Well, I will tell you what it’s not. It is not wild rice. Yes, wild rice may have a similar dark color, and it is rice, but it is not black rice. If you make the mistake of making a black wild rice salad with this recipe your coconut and citrus black rice salad will end up tasting like a barn instead of a light, refreshing lunch. Mmm… barn. How do I know this? I’m not telling.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Black Rice - Also known as forbidden rice, you can find black rice in the organic aisle of your local grocery store. Otherwise, it is nonperishable so it ships well and smaller grocery stores likely won't carry it, so you can order black rice online instead.
- Coconut Milk
- Lime juice - You can substitute another citrus, such as grapefruit or lemon juice.
- Fresh mangos
- Jalapeno peppers - If you don't want any heat, use a bell pepper instead. Colored peppers, like a red or yellow pepper, will be sweeter.
- Red onion - A white onion is the best substitution for its crunch, but a sweet onion and yellow onion can also be used.
- Dry Roasted Peanuts - These add a delicious crunch and nutty flavor to the salad. Honey roasted could also be used.
- Green onions
- Fresh Cilantro - Fresh mint would be a great substitute.
- Kosher Salt to taste
How to make it
To make this black rice salad recipe you first need to cook the rice according to the package directions in a small saucepan. Once cooked and softened, place the cooked rice in the refrigerator to cool because no one wants to eat a warm salad! (this salad is better chilled than served at room temperature too)
While the rice cools chop your oranges into segments without skin. The juice from any leftover scraps can be squeezed into your dressing bowl along with the other dressing ingredients - lime juice and coconut milk. Whisk to combine the dressing.
Once the rice has cooled, add all of the salad ingredients, along with a generous pinch of salt, to a large bowl and toss to combine to ensure the dressing evenly coats everything. Serve immediately.
A fresh salad such as this is best enjoyed right away. However, leftovers can be enjoyed within three days, but the fresh flavor and texture will deteriorate the longer it sits in the refrigerator. This salad should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated to preserve freshness.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Black Rice Salad with Coconut and Citrus Dressing
- 2 cups Black Rice (about 14 ounces)
- 14 ounce canned Coconut Milk
- ⅓ cup Lime juice
- 2 large Oranges
- 2 Mangos cubed
- 3 Jalapenos sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (approximately ½ onion)
- ½ cup Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 6 Green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped Cilantro
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Cook rice according to instructions then place rice in the fridge to cool.
- While rice is cooking remove peel and white pith from oranges then cut between orange segments to separate. Squeeze all orange scraps over a mixing bowl to reserve any extra juices.
- Add lime juice and coconut milk to the juice bowl and whisk to combine the dressing.
- Chop all fruits and vegetables and place them in the dressing bowl.
- Add cooled rice and all ingredients to a serving bowl and toss gently to combine.
This recipe was originally published May 14, 2015 on FoxValleyFoodie.com.