Black rice? What the heck is black rice! Well, I will tell you what it’s not. It is not wild rice. Yes, wild rice may be black, and it is rice, but it is not black rice. If you make the mistake and buy black wild rice for this recipe your coconut and citrus black rice salad will end up tasting like a barn instead of a light, refreshing lunch. Mmm… barn. How do I know this? I’m not telling.
So where do you find black rice? Go to the organic aisle in the grocery store. You will typically find it there after you have already spent 10 minutes pacing back and forth in the Asian food aisle staring at the 30 different rice selections that don’t actually include black rice.
Have I got you excited for this coconut and citrus black rice salad recipe yet? OK, maybe I need to work on my hyping skills.
Well once you do actually locate and purchase the right ingredients, this recipe will get your taste buds dancing Gangnam Style (Now try getting that out of your head the rest of the day. You're welcome). I promise you it is a great way to switch up your routine if you are looking for something a little different to make, especially if you are looking for something fresh and healthy. Did someone say summer?
If you want to avoid the grocery store scavenger hunt for black rice consider purchasing it online. It is nonperishable so it ships well and smaller grocery stores likely won't carry it. This is the brand I used to make this recipe.
The above link is an affiliate link. Any purchases made through this link help support FoxValleyFoodie.com without any additional cost to you.
Coconut and Citrus Black Rice Salad
- 2 cups Black Rice about 14oz, not wild rice
- 14 oz can Coconut Milk
- ⅓ cup of Lime juice
- 2 large Oranges
- 2 Mangos cubed
- 3 Jalapenos sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion ~½ onion
- ½ cup Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 6 Scallions thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped Cilantro
- Kosher Salt
- Cook rice according to instructions then place in the fridge to cool.
- While rice is cooking remove peel and white pith from oranges then cut between orange segments to separate. Squeeze all orange scraps over a bowl to reserve any extra juices.
- Add lime juice and coconut milk to the juice bowl and combine.
- Chop all vegetables and place in a bowl.
- Add cooled rice and all ingredients to a serving bowl and toss gently to combine.
If you enjoyed reading about my coconut and citrus black rice salad recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.