Looking to put a spin on a classic holiday side dish? Your family will love this cheesy green bean casserole with bacon packed with creamy cheddar cheese and the smoky flavor of crisp bacon permeating throughout!
Green bean casserole is as much a holiday staple as the turkey. However, this classic side is due for an upgrade. I packed mine full of cheddar cheese and the smoky flavor of bacon, for a creamy difference you'll really savor!
Ingredients you need
- Canned green beans
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese - I used medium cheddar, but you can use your favorite.
- Bacon - Cut it into 1" pieces and then fry it, or fry it and then crumble it.
- Chicken broth
- French's Crispy-fried onions
How to make it
Begin by cooking the bacon. My favorite way to do it is to cut the bacon up into 1" strips prior to cooking. This helps them cook more evenly and you don't have to try to chop or crumble them after they are cooked.
Next, deglaze the pan with chicken broth and then bring it to a simmer, cooking until it reduces in half. Then add beans, cream of mushroom soup, milk, cheese, and bacon to the pan and place in a 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. It will be hot and bubbly when done.
Finally, top your green bean casserole with plenty of crispy fried onions and enjoy!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- If you have homemade stock in your kitchen, that can be used in place of broth.
- Thick cut and regular cut bacon both work well in this recipe.
- You can use fresh or frozen beans too, but boil them in water for 5 minutes first.
- If you like a more indulgent meal, use heavy cream rather than milk.
Green bean casserole was created by Campbells Soup Company employee Dorcas Reilly in 1955.
Yes, follow the recipe up until it is baked, then cover and place in the refrigerator. Bake it prior to serving then top with fried onions.
You can reheat this dish in the microwave, but the flavor and texture will be best if you gently reheat it in the oven. I recommend covering the top of the pan with foil to prevent burning the onions.
More Holiday Meal Ideas
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans green beans drained
- 1 (10 ¾ oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz bacon, cut into 1" pieces.
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- French-fried onions to cover (approx 1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 9" stainless steel skillet, cook bacon pieces until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and drain fat from pan.
- Add chicken broth to pan to deglaze burnt on fond, stirring rapidly until all cooked on bacon bits are incorporated into the liquid.
- Cook for ~2 minutes, allowing liquid to reduce in half.
- Add beans, cream of mushroom soup, milk, cheese, and bacon to the pan and stir to combine.
- Place skillet in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Top casserole with French Fried Onions during the final 5 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
David @ Spiced
Oh, I am all about less dishes to do during this time of the year! And if I can do less dishes AND create something this tasty...well then, count me in! I love the addition of bacon and cheddar here. Everything is better with bacon and cheddar! Thanks for sharing! #client