Chili nachos can be enjoyed as a hearty game-day appetizer, or as a full meal on their own.
What is it?
Chili nachos feature tortilla chips loaded with leftover chili, shredded cheese, sour cream, and green onions. Best of all, these homemade nachos are perfect to customize with your favorite toppings.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Homemade Chili - Using leftover chili is ideal for this recipe, however, canned chili from the grocery store is also fine.
- Tortilla chips - Frito corn chips can be substituted.
- Shredded cheddar cheese - Monterey Jack cheese is also great to use, or using nacho cheese sauce would be a phenomenal substitution.
- Sour cream
- Garnishes - Optional garnishes can include chopped white or red onions, sliced green onions, jalapeño slices, fresh cilantro, or lime wedges.
How to make it
To make this chili nachos recipe first preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While the oven preheats, warm your chili until heated through.
Spread a layer of tortilla chips evenly across a large sheet pan and bake in the oven for 3 minutes. The chips should be warm to the touch.
Place the tortilla chips on a large platter and top with spoonfuls of chili, plenty of cheddar cheese, sour cream, and top nachos with your favorite garnishes. Enjoy immediately.
Any leftover chili nachos are best stored with the chili toppings in separate airtight containers from the tortilla chips. The chips will quickly get soggy in the refrigerator and soak up any juice from the toppings. I recommend storing all of the ingredients separately, and reheating the chili in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy it again.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
- Sheet pan
- 2 cups chili
- 10 ounces tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat chili in the microwave until warmed through.
- Spread tortilla chips on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the oven for three minutes, or until the chips are warm.
- Spread the chips in an even layer on a serving tray and top with chili, shredded cheese, sour cream, and garnishes. Serve immediately.