Fried cabbage with sausage is a comforting southern classic that is easy to make with simple ingredients, gentle on your budget, and will be enjoyed by the whole family.
This great recipe makes a hearty meal that is for a perfect busy weeknight dinner or any time you are craving southern comfort food.
What is it?
Fried cabbage with sausage is a delicious one-pot meal consisting of tender cabbage, andouille sausage, and chopped onion lightly coated in butter, Dijon mustard, and cajun seasonings. This is commonly served as a main dish, but it makes a hearty side dish as well.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Andouille sausage - For less spice, substitute a smoked sausage or kielbasa sausage (Polish sausage) instead.
- Green cabbage - You can substitute red cabbage for more color.
- Yellow onion - Substitute a red onion for stronger flavor.
- Garlic cloves - Substitute ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Butter - Olive oil can be substituted, but butter is best. Otherwise, bacon grease can be used to add a smoky flavor.
- Dijon mustard - A splash of vinegar can be substituted.
- Cajun seasoning - Most store-bought brands of Cajun seasoning already contain salt, so you may not need to add any to this dish. If you want more control over the salt levels in this recipe, I recommend using my homemade Creole seasoning instead.
- Optional - Feel free to also add black pepper, red pepper flakes, or bell peppers to this delicious recipe.
How to make it
To make this fried cabbage and sausage recipe, you will need a large frying pan or saute pan. Begin by searing your thin slices of sausage in a hot skillet set over medium-high heat.
While the sausage cooks, you can prep your cabbage by removing the outer leaves and then slicing it in half on a cutting board with a sharp knife. Cut out the core, and proceed to chop the cabbage into one-inch pieces.
Once the sausage is seared, reduce the heat to medium and add the butter, cabbage, onion, and garlic. Place a lid on the skillet and let everything cook for 25 minutes, or until the cabbage is completely tender and browning. Stir as needed.
Finally, stir in the mustard and Cajun seasonings, then taste for salt. Serve immediately.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Leftover fried cabbage with sausage is a good meal to make in advance and reheat to enjoy throughout the week. Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to seven days, and can easily be reheated in the microwave.
Fried Cabbage with Sausage
- Large skillet
- Place sliced sausage in a large skillet or saute pan set over medium high heat and cook until the sausage is nicely seared.
- Reduce to medium heat and add the butter, chopped cabbage, onion, and garlic to the skillet with the sausage and stir to coat everything with the butter as it melts.
- Cover the skillet and let the cabbage mixture saute for 25 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and turning golden brown, stirring every couple of minutes as needed.
- Stir in the Dijon mustard and Cajun seasonings, taste for salt, then serve.