Fried cabbage and potatoes is an easy family dinner loaded with andouille sausage and creole seasonings.
Looking for an easy dinner? Looking for an inexpensive meal? Looking for bold flavors? This fried cabbage and potatoes recipe has it all! Plus, the best part is, there are a million ways you can customize the recipe to fit your family's tastes.
Fried Cabbage and Potatoes
Fried cabbage and potatoes is a simple dish made with inexpensive ingredients, that is particularly popular in the southern United States. My favorite way to prepare this dish is to borrow from the flavors of Louisiana and jazz up this recipe with my homemade creole seasoning and sliced Andouille sausage.
How to Make Fried Cabbage and Potatoes
This meal fits nicely in a 12" skillet. I recommend using a 12" skillet lid to help the potatoes cook, which I understand a lot of people don't have. You can either purchase a lid to fit a 12" skillet or just use some aluminum foil to cover the pan as you saute.
If you don't have a lot of experience chopping cabbage, I recommend taking a look at my How to Cut Cabbage tutorial for a quick step-by-step review.
The meal itself is simple to prepare. The sausage is browned in a skillet and then removed as the cabbage, potatoes, and onions are sauteed in butter until everything is tender and delicious. Everything gets tossed together at the end and served.
How to Customize This Recipe
This recipe can easily be modified to fit any tastes. You can use kielbasa instead of Andouille and even make the seasonings as simple as salt and pepper if you prefer. Some people like to make this a vegetarian dish without any sausage, or go the opposite direction and add bacon instead.
Fried Cabbage and Potatoes
- 1 pound Andouille Sausage (sliced into rounds)
- 1/2 head green cabbage (cored and chopped)
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes (diced)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (divided)*
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Add sliced Andouille sausage to a 12" skillet set over medium heat and sear until sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- Add cabbage, potatoes, onion, butter, and two teaspoons of creole seasoning to the skillet, cover and saute until everything is tender and potatoes are cooked through, stirring every few minutes. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Return sausage to the skillet, along with remaining teaspoon of creole seasoning and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.