This cheesy baked asparagus is a decedent side dish loaded with melted Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese oozing between tender stalks of asparagus. This side really has a steakhouse feel to it, so it would be perfect to serve with a perfectly grilled steak or pork chops.
I love cheesy baked asparagus because it is more satisfying than basic oven-roasted asparagus when that comfort food craving hits! Heck, everything tastes better with cheese, doesn't it?
Here are the ingredients you need
- Fresh asparagus - Make sure to trim off the woody ends.
- Cream cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan - Grated or shredded works.
- Garlic cloves - You can substitute garlic powder if needed.
- Red pepper flakes - This is optional, but can add a nice subtle heat to the cheesy asparagus if desired.
What equipment is needed?
You need a small baking dish for this recipe. It needs to be big enough to fit stalks of asparagus, but they can be piled up on each other rather than spread out in an even layer. An 11 x 7" dish is perfect.
You will also need aluminum foil to cover the baking dish for the first half of the baking.
How to make it
Trim off the woody ends of the asparagus and place the stalks into the baking dish, then sprinkle on crushed garlic, salt, and pepper.
Mix together the milk and cream cheese to form a sauce, then spread it evenly over the asparagus and top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Note: If you want to add some heat, red pepper flakes can be stirred in with the cream cheese.
Cover your baking dish with foil then place in a 400-degree oven for 15 minutes, remove the foil, and bake an additional 15 minutes. You will know it's done because the stalks will be tender and the cheese will begin to brown.
Expert Tips & Tricks
- The amount of cheese used can be adjusted depending on the size of your baking dish. Use enough to cover the asparagus.
- If desired, you could mix the cream cheese, milk, Mozzarella, and Parmesan together to create a thick cheesy sauce.
Asparagus pairs well with hearty entrees such as steak, or pork chops, along with a baked potato side.
Mozzarella cheese goes best with asparagus because it melts well, and its mild flavor does not conflict with the flavor of the asparagus.
Asparagus turns bright green when cooked and becomes increasingly tender. When fully cooked you can cut it with the side of a fork.
More cheesy sides
Cheesy Baked Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus (woody ends trimmed)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper
- 2 shakes red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place trimmed asparagus in a small baking dish and dust liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add milk to softened cream cheese in small splashes, mixing to incorporate with each splash.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over asparagus.
- Top with enough Mozzarella and Parmesan to cover.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Take the asparagus out of the oven, let cool slightly, and serve.