This savory Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta features penne noodles bathed in a creamy blue cheese sauce loaded with tender mushrooms.
I have the perfect present for you this holiday season: Relax. Yes, that is right, we often get too wrapped up in every holiday gathering, tradition, and chore. By the time Christmas rolls around we are burnt out and ready for it to be over. So this year, take a night off, cook yourself a special dinner, and savor the season for once. Oh, and it just so happens I have a recipe idea for your relaxing night in - My Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta!
There is just something immensely comforting about the taste of blue cheese. Its savory and slightly pungent flavor is the perfect highlight on a cold winter evening. Let it melt away in a cream sauce and then pour it over tender penne noodles? Now you really have my attention!
I bought Salemville Blue Cheese for this pasta dish. Since blue cheese is the star of the sauce, it is important to use a quality brand. Being from Wisconsin, I like to think we know a thing or two about making great cheese, so I always gravitate towards Wisconsin cheese brands.
Blue Cheese Pasta
Since the blue cheese sauce is essentially an infused alfredo sauce, I thought about using fettucini noodles for this recipe. You are welcome to do so. However, I felt that hollow penne noodles were perfectly designed to drink up the savory sauce. Both work exceptionally well when making a blue cheese pasta.
I also used sliced baby bella mushrooms in this dish, but if you are feeling a little more exotic feel free to substitute wild mushrooms instead. You can typically buy them dried in the grocery store, then you simply rehydrate them in water.
Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles (divided)
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- Bring salted pot of water to a boil while prepping ingredients.
- Melt butter in 12" skillet set to medium heat and add onions. Saute until onions begin to tender, add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms and onions are tender. Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer, or until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet gradually, scraping the bottom of the pan incorporate any burnt on bits into the liquid. Turn the heat up to medium high to bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add heavy cream, half of blue cheese crumbles, Parmesan, and thyme. Stir to combine. Let simmer until liquid thickens to a sauce consistency. ~15 minutes.
- While sauce is thickening, cook penne pasta according to package instructions.
- Once sauce reaches desired thickness, add fresh ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Drain pasta from water and add to the blue cheese sauce along with parsley. Toss to combine.
- Plate pasta and sprinkle with remaining blue cheese and serve.
If you enjoyed reading my Blue Cheese and Mushroom Pasta recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.