This easy sausage queso dip comes together in minutes with simple ingredients like real cheese, boldly flavored sausage, and tomatoes.
Say goodbye to the flavorless processed cheese dips. There is no Velveeta cheese in this easy appetizer. Best of all, by using cream cheese as the base, this creamy dip is just as easy to prepare!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pork sausage - Country sausage or breakfast sausage is great. I like hot sausage, but be sure to buy a less spicy sausage if you want to lower the heat level. I would only substitute ground beef if seasoned with taco seasoning, otherwise, Italian sausage can be used.
- Rotel tomatoes with green chiles - Diced tomatoes or pico de Gallo can be substituted.
- Cream cheese
- Jalapeno pepper - This can be omitted for less heat, but it really adds a lot of flavor, similar to nacho cheese.
- Pepper jack cheese - Substitute Monterey Jack cheese for less heat.
- Sharp cheddar cheese - Mild cheddar cheese can be substituted.
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Optional - You can garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro.
How to make it
To make queso with sausage, begin by adding the country sausage to a large saucepan set over medium heat. Brown sausage and break it apart into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
Once the sausage is cooked through, pour in the tomatoes. Let any excess liquid cook off, then stir in the cream cheese until fully melted.
Begin to add the shredded cheese in batches, and stir it into the cream cheese mixture as it melts. Repeat until all of the cheese has been added. Then stir in the sour cream.
Serve the sausage queso dip while still warm with tortilla chips for dipping.
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
Because of the cream cheese base, leftover queso sausage dip is reheated easily in the microwave. For this reason, the dip can be made in advance for any party. The leftovers should be eaten within 5 days and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Sausage Queso Dip
- Large saucepan
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 20 ounces Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper (quartered)
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Set a large saucepan over medium heat and add pork sausage. Break the sausage into crumbles and cook until it is well browned. Pour off any excess grease.
- Pour the canned tomatoes into the saucepan and let any excess liquid cook off for a minute or two. Then add the cream cheese, stirring to melt it into the sausage mixture.
- Add handfuls of shredded cheese in batches. Stir to melt the cheese into the sauce, then repeat until all of the cheese has been added. Then stir in the sour cream.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.