This liver and onions recipe with gravy is old-fashioned comfort food that will surely be a big hit with any lovers of organ meat. Best of all, the luxurious sage-infused gravy is perfect for slathering over a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes too!
What is it?
This liver and onions with gravy recipe features sauteed onions and beef liver lightly coated in seasoned flour and pan-fried until golden brown, which is then served with a flavorful brown gravy infused with a sprig of fresh sage.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Beef liver - Other cuts of beef can be substituted if you don't enjoy organ meat. This can be made similarly to my hamburger steak with onion gravy recipe.
- Butter - Bacon grease can be substituted.
- Large onion - Yellow onions are preferred but a sweet onion is a great substitute.
- All-purpose flour
- Table salt
- Ground black pepper
- Beef broth - Beef stock is a good substitute.
- Worchestershire sauce - Soy sauce can be substituted.
- Fresh sage - Fresh thyme or rosemary can also be used.
How to make it
This old fashioned liver and onions recipe with gravy is pretty straightforward. Begin by soaking the raw liver in milk to remove any bitter flavor. While the liver soaks, saute onions in butter in a hot skillet set over medium heat.
As the onions cook, discard the milk and dredge the liver pieces in a shallow dish containing a mixture of flour, salt, and black pepper. Then remove the onions from the skillet with a slotted spoon and add the rest of the butter. Place the coated liver slices in the skillet and cook until the flour browns.
Now you are ready to make the delicious gravy. Slowly whisk in the Worchestershire sauce and beef broth and bring to a simmer. Add sage to the skillet along with the set-aside onions. Cook everything until the liquid thickens into a gravy consistency, then taste for salt and pepper and serve with fluffy mashed potatoes along with a green vegetable such as roasted green beans.
Store your leftover liver and onions in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy it within five days. The best way to reheat this dish is to microwave individual servings separately until heated through.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Liver and Onions with Gravy
- Large skillet
- Soak liver in milk for 30+ minutes. This will remove any bitter taste from the liver.
- While the slices of liver soak, add two tablespoons of butter to a large skillet set over medium heat and add the sliced onions. Saute until the onions turn golden brown and become tender. Then remove the onions and set aside.
- While the onions cook, mix together the flour, salt, and black pepper, then dredge the raw liver in it, ensuring each piece is fully coated. The milk can be discarded.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter to the skillet along with the liver and cook until the flour becomes golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in beef broth and Worchestershire sauce, add the fresh sage and return the onions to the skillet. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook until it thickens. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.