This deliciously creamy kielbasa and potatoes skillet is coated in a tangy mustard cream sauce and is ready in under 20 minutes.
When you need an easy dinner, this simple meal is perfect for any busy weeknight and is always a crowd pleaser the whole family loves. Using only simple ingredients, you can cook up delicious comfort food that is big on flavor but easy on your budget.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Kielbasa Polish sausage - Another smoked sausage from the grocery store can be substituted. This simple dish would also work well with Italian sausage.
- Small red potatoes - Yukon gold potatoes can be substituted. Russet potatoes can also be used, but baking potatoes break apart more easily and will have a mushier texture than waxy potatoes.
- Olive oil - Any high temp cooking oil is fine.
- Yellow onion - A sweet onion is a great substitution. 1 cup of fresh cabbage is great to add as well, or as a substitution.
- Red bell pepper - Any other bell peppers can be substituted.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Heavy cream
- Dijon mustard - Brown mustard or apple cider vinegar can be substituted.
- Garlic powder - 2 cloves of minced garlic can be substituted, but should be added near the end of the vegetable saute.
- Fresh thyme - Dried thyme, oregano, or Italian seasoning can be substituted. Cut the measurement in half if using dried herbs.
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Optional - For a little heat, crushed red pepper flakes can be added.
How to make it
To make this kielbasa and potato skillet recipe, begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the sliced potatoes and boil until tender, approximately 8-10 minutes. Alternatively, the potatoes can be pan-fried or roasted, as desired.
While the potatoes are boiling, add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat and add the bell peppers, onion, and sliced sausage. Saute until the kielbasa sausage has a golden brown sear and the vegetables are tender.
Next, add the fresh spinach leaves and stir into the vegetable mixture until wilted, then add the tender potatoes to the skillet.
Finally, stir in the heavy cream, mustard, garlic powder, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Bring the cream mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened. Then serve this kielbasa skillet immediately.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Leftover kielbasa and potatoes store well and can be reheated easily in the microwave. Any leftovers should be kept in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. The leftovers are best reheated in the microwave in individual servings on a microwave-safe dish until warmed through.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Kielbasa and Potatoes Skillet
- Large saucepan
- 1 pound kielbasa sliced
- 1 ¼ pounds small red potatoes sliced ¼" thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large saucepan or pot filled with salted water, boil the sliced potatoes until they just become tender and are easily pierced with a fork. Then drain potatoes from the water and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add oil to a saute pan set over medium high heat and add the chopped peppers, onion, and sliced kielbasa. Saute the sausage mixture until the vegetables become tender and the kielbasa is nicely seared.
- Reduce the stovetop to medium heat and add the fresh spinach. Stir it into the vegetable mixture until it begins to wilt, then add the cooked potatoes.
- Prepare the mustard sauce by adding the heavy cream, mustard, garlic powder, fresh thyme, fresh ground pepper, and salt to the saute pan. Stir everything to combine, then bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the cream sauce thickens. Then serve immediately.