Simple to make, inexpensive ingredients, and great flavor! This Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Dumplings with Beer Braised Kielbasa recipe has it all!
It feels good to be sitting back in the new Fox Valley Foodie International Headquarter's Command Center (hey, it's a thing). My wife and I moved into a new house a few days ago and I have been completely preoccupied with remodeling projects. The endless list of projects-in-waiting and half painted walls makes me feel like I am living in a 3-D Bob the Builder coloring book.
As the new flooring got installed in the kitchen, I didn't have a stove to cook on for a few days so I reached for the slow cooker and made a mouthwatering batch of this Sauerkraut and Dumplings with Beer Braised Kielbasa.
Easy Slow Cooker Dumpings
If you are an obsessive Fox Valley Foodie follower, you may recall I have previously published a traditional Sauerkraut and Dumplings recipe. However, there is no reason why it cannot be made in the slow cooker as well.
I am a firm believer that slow cooker recipes should be hassle-free. So rather than making the dumplings from scratch, I bought Grands refrigerated biscuit dough. This dough in a tube even has the biscuits already portioned in rounds for easy use. Depending on the size of your slow cooker, you probably won't use the entire tube of dough. Just use enough to cover the surface.
How to Make Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Dumpings
I made a few modifications to the Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Dumplings with Beer Braised Kielbasa recipe, compared to my traditional recipe. First of all, I added beer, which adds great malty flavor that pairs perfectly with the tangy kraut. I recommend using a malty beer, like an Octoberfest, but really any of your favorite beers will work.
The overall cooking time for this recipe can be very flexible. If you are in a hurry, cooking for two hours on high will suffice, but the longer you cook it the more liquid will evaporate. Personally, I like having liquid lingering in the crock pot because it adds a lot of flavor to the dumplings. Four hours on high was perfect for me.
Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Dumplings with Beer Braised Kielbasa
- 2 lbs kielbasa (cut in 3" sections)
- 48 oz sauerkraut
- 12 oz beer
- 16 oz store bought biscuit dough (such as Pillsbury Grands)
- Add kielbasa, sauerkraut (including liquid), and beer to 5-6 quart slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours. The cooking time is flexible, you can cook it for as short as 2 hours or it can sit all afternoon if needed. (if cooking all day, set it on low).
- 30 minutes before serving, place biscuit dough rounds in a single layer in the slow cooker. Only use enough to cover, leaving roughly an inch of space inbetween rounds to allow for expansion as it cooks.
- Place the lid back on the slow cooker. After the dough is cooked through, serve and enjoy!
If you enjoyed my Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Dumplings with Beer Braised Kielbasa recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.