Ground beef and cabbage is an inexpensive one skillet meal that can easily be prepared with a few simple ingredients.
This delicious dish is loaded with seasoned ground beef, sauteed cabbage, and onions, and coated in a tangy tomato-based sauce. Best of all, your ground beef and cabbage skillet will be ready for the whole family to enjoy in only 20 minutes, making this easy meal a lifesaver on busy weeknights.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Lean ground beef - 90/10 or 85/15 beef is a perfect choice because you don't want the meat to be too greasy.
- Olive oil - You can substitute any other cooking oil.
- Head of cabbage - Green or purple cabbage is both fine.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves - ½ teaspoon of garlic powder can be substituted.
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce - Tomato soup can be substituted, but you will have to simmer it longer to thicken.
- Sour cream
- Brown sugar
- Smoked paprika - Regular paprika can also be substituted.
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning - You can substitute your favorite herbs.
- Green onions
- Optional - Crushed red pepper flakes are a great addition for a spicy sauce.
How to make it
To make this ground beef and cabbage recipe begin by browning the ground beef in a saute pan or skillet over medium high heat. Break the ground meat into small crumbles as it cooks with a wooden spoon. Once fully cooked, remove the beef from the saute pan and set aside.
Drain any excess fat from the skillet and add olive oil, cabbage, and onions. Reduce the pan to medium heat and saute until the cabbage and onions are tender, then add the minced cloves of garlic and cook for an additional two minutes.
Return the ground beef to the pan, and add the can of tomatoes. Cook off the liquid, then stir in the tomato sauce, sour cream, brown sugar, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Simmer the ground beef mixture for two minutes, then stir in the green onions and serve.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Leftover ground beef and cabbage will store well in your refrigerator for up to one week when kept in an airtight container. The leftovers can easily be reheated in a microwave until heated through.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Ground Beef and Cabbage
- Large skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ head green cabbage chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 green onions sliced
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Break the meat into small crumbles and cook until nicely browned. Then remove the browned hamburger with a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard any excess grease.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the olive oil along with chopped onion and cabbage. Saute until the onion and cabbage is tender and beginning to brown. Then add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Return the beef to the skillet along with diced tomatoes. Cook off until the liquid has almost completely evaporated, then add the tomato sauce, sour cream, brown sugar, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes to thicken, then stir in the chopped green onions, and serve.