Is there any better way to start the day than sausage, egg, and cheese? Take it to the next level with this English Muffin Breakfast Pizza recipe!
I loved making breakfast, not only because it gives me a peaceful way to wake up and enjoy my coffee as slowly shake off my catatonic state, but because it is decadently delicious! A hearty breakfast platter including some combination of sausage, eggs, and cheese is the best comfort food to start the day. If you add in southern style sawmill gravy and English muffins you have what may be the best breakfast comfort food ever!
Breakfast Pizza Sauce
The most popular comfort food is probably pizza, so it should come as no surprise that my English Muffin Breakfast Pizza is my ideal breakfast comfort food. It is the sawmill gravy ‘pizza sauce’ that really makes this breakfast pizza sing. (Well, the pizza doesn’t really “sing” per se, that would just be creepy. I don’t cook creepy food.)
When added to a toasted English muffin topped with egg, sausage and cheese, it almost tastes buttery. If you are not comfortable making a perfect batch of sawmill gravy yourself, “how to make sawmill gravy” for detailed instructions so you can nail it on the first try! If you want to cheat and buy sawmill gravy, or use a mix packet, that is fine too.
How to Make Breakfast Pizza
The recipe I created for you includes breakfast sausage, since it is needed to make the sawmill gravy. However, you can easily substitute bacon if you prefer that instead. And, well, since it is technically pizza, feel free to go crazy and add whatever toppings you prefer. I promise not to judge you, or at least to do so quietly.
All of the equipment needed for this recipe is standard kitchen fare. However, I do recommend having a cast iron pan (affiliate link) to make the sawmill gravy in. Though it is certainly possible to make it in another pan, the heavy bottomed cast iron pan will help keep the heat more consistent and prevent scorching if used properly.
The texture of a breakfast pizza is best if the English muffins are toasted. Then simply paint them with a satisfying dollop of gravy, top with scrambled eggs, cheese and sausage. After a brief vacation under the broiler, your breakfast pizzas will be hot, bubbly, and stick-to-your-ribs delicious!
English Muffin Breakfast Pizza
- 1 Package of English Muffins
- 8 Eggs
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 8 oz Mild Cheddar Cheese thin sliced
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup sausage drippings add butter if you don't have enough drippings
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Cook meat in cast iron pan until well done. Remove from pan and pour off all but 1/4 cup of fat.
- To the meat drippings in the skillet, add the flour. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture starts to turn golden. (This burns away the raw flour flavor which must be done before liquid is introduced)
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook gravy until it boils and thickens.
- Lightly toast English Muffins in toaster while making gravy.
- Scramble eggs in a non-stick skillet, add a small dash of milk to make them fluffier, if desired.
- Turn oven broiler on high and assemble pizzas on baking sheet.
- Add sawmill gravy to the open faced toasted English Muffin then top with scrambled eggs, slice of cheese and sausage.
- Toast under broiler until cheese is bubbly and melted.
This recipe was originally published on FoxValleyFoodie.com April 12, 2015.
If you enjoyed reading English Muffin Breakfast Pizza then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, and if you are willing to take my advice on the food you put into your body you should probably follow my advice on that too.