This classic chicken salad is loaded with crunchy bits of celery and onion mingling throughout the delectably creamy dressing. This easy recipe packs tons of flavor, requires only basic ingredients, and it is effortless to make. You will never want to use another chicken salad recipe again!
What is it?
This classic chicken salad recipe features tender shredded chicken coated in a creamy Dijon mayo-based dressing, along with freshly chopped onion, celery, and parsley. This easy recipe can be enjoyed on its own, or as flavorful chicken salad sandwiches or wraps.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Chicken breast - The easiest option is to use a store-bought rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Mayo - Light mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for a healthier option.
- Dijon mustard - You can substitute brown mustard or even a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for acidity.
- Celery - Celery adds that classic crunch to the salad, but fresh bell peppers can also be used.
- Yellow onion - A white onion is a great substitute. The flavor of a red onion would overpower this dish.
- Fresh parsley - Parsley adds a pop of color and freshness, but you can also add green onions or other fresh herbs, like thyme.
If you want to customize this recipe to fit your tastes try any combination of the following simple ingredients too:
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Sweet peppers
- Briney food such as pickles or olives
- Sundried tomatoes
How to make it
Making a traditional chicken salad is just about the easiest recipe ever once you have the cooked chicken shredded and the veggies chopped. Simply add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine well, then serve!
How to serve it
Homemade chicken salad is a very versatile dish and perfect for a simple lunch. My favorite way to enjoy it is as a sandwich on a bun. Although cheap "bread-aisle" buns will work fine, getting artisan buns from the bakery department can really elevate this dish. For a low-carb option, you can serve it on a bed of lettuce, in lettuce wraps, or low-carb wraps. Alternatively, serving this easy chicken salad recipe on crackers or simply in a bowl are also great ways to enjoy it as well.
Note: Since this salad has a creamy dressing that is mayo-based, it should not be left out at room temperature for long periods of time when serving.
Can I Make Chicken Salad Ahead of Time?
Yes! This classic chicken salad recipe is great to make ahead. It is meant to be enjoyed cold, so you can simply whip up a batch and store any leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Plus, this gives time for the flavors to meld properly. However, there is nothing wrong with eating it right away either. This salad will last approximately 4 days before the quality starts noticeably degrading.
More creative chicken salad recipes
Though this classic recipe is a very popular way many people enjoy chicken salad, there are many flavorful variations to try! If you are craving a jazzed-up chicken salad try any of these recipes too!
- Chicken Salad with Red Grapes and Pecans
- Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad with Apples
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Avocado Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Bacon Avocado Chicken Salad
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Classic Chicken Salad
- Large Bowl
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Place ~⅓ cup of mixture on buns and enjoy. Or refrigerate chicken salad for later use.
This recipe was originally published on July 21, 2017, on FoxValleyFoodie.com.