This melty gourmet grilled cheese with bacon takes the childhood classic to the next level with the addition of roasted tomato and fresh basil!
This great lunch will be a huge hit with the entire family. Smoky bacon is exactly what your grilled cheese has been missing. One bite, and you will see what I mean!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Sourdough bread - Sure, you can use plain white sandwich bread, but sourdough makes a big difference.
- Bacon - Thick cut bacon is a great choice for this gourmet grilled cheese recipe. Alternatively, a smear of tomato bacon jam would taste incredible!
- Fresh basil leaves - Other fresh herbs can be substituted.
- Cheddar cheese - Sharp cheddar cheese has the strongest flavor, mild cheddar cheese melts the best. Either will work depending on your preference.
- Provolone cheese - You can substitute your favorite cheese. Mild cheese, such as Monterey Jack cheese or pepper jack cheeses are good options.
- Butter - You can also spread mayonnaise on the outside of the bread prior to grilling. Truffle mayo would taste amazing! Otherwise, you can also use leftover bacon grease.
- Fresh Tomato - Sun-dried tomatoes would be a great substitute. You could also add roasted red peppers or caramelized onions.
- Olive oil
How to make it
Make this grilled cheese recipe with bacon by first tossing your slices of tomato in olive oil and salt, then roasting them in a 400 degree oven until beginning to char.
The raw bacon can be fried in a large skillet while the tomato roasted. Cook the strips of bacon until crispy. Then set your slices of bacon aside on a paper towel-line plate. The bacon fat can be discarded.
While the bacon is frying, butter the exterior side of each slice of bread. Then assemble the sandwich by placing a slice of Provolone cheese, basil, Cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and roasted tomato inbetween your bread slices.
Place the assembled grill cheese sandwich in a large skillet set over medium heat and grill until the bread is golden brown on the first side, then flip and repeat on the second side and continue until each slice of cheese has melted, then serve.
How to Serve it
The classic pairing for homemade grilled cheese sandwiches is a hot bowl of tomato soup, and this recipe is no exception. Any of these easy soups are perfect for rounding out your lunch:
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Bacon
- Large skillet
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 strips bacon
- 3 leaves fresh basil julienned
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- Toss the tomato slices in oil, season with salt and desired seasonings and roast at 400 degrees until slightly charred.
- Fry bacon in a pan while tomato is roasting.
- Butter outside of the slices of bread. Layer provolone cheese, then basil, then cheddar cheese, then bacon, then tomato on the sandwich.
- Grill in a skillet set over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the exterior has browned on each side.
- Cut in half and serve.
This recipe was originally published here June 5, 2015.