Sausage and potatoes are an easy family dinner featuring seared smoked sausage, peppers, and onions tossed with seasoned roasted potatoes.
This has quickly become a favorite weeknight family meal at my house. It is easy to prepare, and it packs flavors the whole family loves. Depending on dietary needs, you can even swap out leaner sausages like chicken sausage for a lower calorie dinner.
Sausage and Potatoes
My sausage and potatoes recipes is loaded with smoked sausage, peppers and onions which are all seared in a skillet and then tossed with oven roasted potatoes.
It is possible to make this a sheet-pan meal, and cook everything in the oven. However, I feel you get the best flavor by playing to the ingredient's strengths. For a meal such as this, sausage tastes best when seared, peppers and onions taste best when sauteed, and potatoes taste best roasted.
Sausage Peppers and Onions
The sausage, peppers, and onions can all be prepared in a large skillet at the same time while the potatoes roast. By the time the sausage rounds develop a nice sear the vegetables will be sufficiently sauteed, yet retain a bit of crispness. I use one red and one yellow pepper in this recipe, however, you can use any combination of 2 green, red, yellow, or orange peppers. You can even spice it up with jalapeno or poblano peppers.
Roasted Potatoes Recommendations
I like using the smallest red or Yukon gold potatoes I can find and then quarter/halve them to be slightly larger than the sliced sausage rounds I am cooking. 1 1/2" potatoes cubes are about right.
You can substitute russet potatoes if you desire, russets roast up crispier, which is one nice benefit. However, I think the creamier flavor of red potatoes and Yukon golds fit this meal best.
I bake the potatoes at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. They are done when the interior is tender and creamy. If you chop the potatoes too small or too large, baking time will vary, so I recommend checking on them 30 minutes into roasting.
Crockpot Sausage and Potatoes
If you wished to convert this recipe into a slow cooker recipe, you can do so. Place the potatoes in the crockpot (affiliate link) on low and let cook for 4+ hours, until the potatoes are tender. Add the sausage, peppers, and onions in the final hour. Once the sausage is sufficiently heated, it is ready to eat.
Sausage and Potatoes
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion (sliced or large chop)
- 1 red pepper (sliced or large chop)
- 1 yellow Pepper (sliced or large chop)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes (or red potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice smoked sausage into rounds 1/2" thick. Chop potatoes to be slightly larger than sausage rounds, roughly 1 1/2" chop.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon cooking oil, mustard, and all seasonings. Toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until interior is tender when pierced with a fork.
- After the potatoes have baked for 30 minutes, add remaining tablespoon of cooking oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add sausage, peppers, and onions and saute until sausage is seared. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and add into the skillet with sausage mixture. Add chopped parsley, toss everything together, and serve.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.