Parmesan roasted carrots are delightfully tender, with a crisp exterior coated in a salted parmesan crust. You can use full-sized carrots for this recipe or cut them into smaller pieces if desired as well.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- Carrots - I recommend finding small carrots, about the thickness of an average finger. However, you can use larger carrots and cut them in half lengthwise, or use baby carrots instead.
- Olive oil - Olive oil adds a nice flavor to the carrots while also helping the exterior cook. Regular olive oil is recommended because it has a higher smoke point than extra virgin.
- Parmesan - I recommend grated parmesan because it is broken into smaller pieces than shredded, this sticks to the carrots more easily.
- Fresh parsley - This is optional, but recommended. Parsley adds a subtle herbal flavor, but also greater increases the visual appeal of the dish.
- Pepper - Fresh ground pepper is almost always best.
- Salt - The smaller grains of table salt is preferable over kosher salt for this dish because they will coat the carrots better.
How to roast carrots in the oven
I like my carrots to look slightly blackened and blistered, so I use a higher temperature, 425 to be exact. Lower temperatures also work, but they cook the carrots more gently and take longer. At 425 degrees, a fulls-sized carrot the thickness of a finger will take about 30 minutes to roast.
Tossing the carrots in oil is also recommended when roasting because the oil heats up as they cook, lightly 'frying' the exterior. This creates a better texture. Oil also helps the seasoning and Parmesan to stick to the carrot for baking. I recommend adding the carrots, oil, and seasonings to a large bag or bowl and toss to evenly coat prior to adding them to a baking pan.
Is peeling carrots necessary?
My recipe calls for peeling carrots, but it isn't required. Peeling ensures the carrot is clean, and free from dirt when cooking. However, if you like the added texture unpeeled carrots have, just scrub them really well to ensure they are clean, then proceed with the recipe as written.
More vegetable side dishes
Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- 1 ½ pounds carrots (peeled)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add all ingredients to a large bag or bowl and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread carrots on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.