Parmesan roasted carrots are delightfully tender, with a crisp exterior coated in a salted parmesan crust.
The natural sweetness of the roasted parmesan carrots makes this the perfect side dish for any weeknight dinner. Best of all, this delicious side dish comes together with just a few basic ingredients.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Whole carrots - I recommend finding small carrots, about the thickness of an average finger. However, you can use large carrots and cut them into smaller pieces, or use baby carrots instead.
- Olive oil - Olive oil adds a nice flavor to the carrots while also helping the exterior cook. Regular olive oil is recommended because it has a higher smoke point than extra virgin olive oil. You can substitute another vegetable oil or melted butter.
- Parmesan cheese - I recommend grated parmesan cheese because it is broken into smaller pieces than shredded, this sticks to the carrots more easily than shredded parmesan.
- Fresh parsley - Fresh thyme is a great substitute.
- Black pepper - Fresh ground black pepper is strongly recommended.
- Salt - The smaller grains of table salt are preferable over kosher salt for this dish because they will coat the carrots better.
How to make them
Begin making this parmesan roasted carrot recipe by peeling carrots, and discarding any carrot tops. Peeling isn't required, but does ensure the carrots are clean when cooking. However, if you like the added texture unpeeled carrots have, just scrub them really well to ensure they are clean, then proceed with the recipe as written.
Drizzle the carrots with oil, which will create a better texture for roasting and help the Parmesan cheese stick. I recommend adding the carrots, oil, and seasonings to a large bag or bowl, then toss carrots to evenly coat them with the oil mixture prior to placing them on a prepared baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the carrots at 425 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the carrot, so continue to cook until the exterior begins to char and the inside is tender.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Leftover roasted carrots should be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week. The leftovers can be reheated in a microwave until warmed through, or gently warmed back up in a 350-degree oven.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Baking sheet
- 1 ½ pounds carrots (peeled)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add all ingredients to a large bag or bowl and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread carrots on a baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and serve.
This recipe was originally published on October 2, 2020.