Million dollar bacon is a deliciously crispy candied bacon that makes a sweet and crunchy treat or a wonderful addition to any sandwich. This easy recipe is as simple as dusting the bacon with a perfect combination of flavorful seasonings then baking it in the oven. It can't get any easier than that, right?
You'll feel like you struck it rich on the first bite, but you don't have to spend a million dollars to create this crunchy snack, it just tastes like it. The ingredient list is actually very straightforward. I bet you already have the seasonings needed on hand. Get ready to enjoy your new favorite way to eat bacon!
- Bacon - I strongly recommend using thick-cut bacon for this recipe. Thick cut bacon is best because it is meatier and better able to take on the seasoning. However, regular bacon can also be used if desired.
- Brown sugar
- Ground black pepper
- Ground cinnamon
- Cayenne pepper - If you don't enjoy a little heat this can be eliminated, however it does provide a nice contrast to the sweetness of the brown sugar. Crushed red pepper flakes can also be substituted.
How to make candied bacon
Begin this million dollar bacon recipe by laying all of the bacon slices on a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. It is a good idea to line your pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil to ensure the bacon doesn't bake onto it.
Next, make the spice mixture by mixing together brown sugar, black pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Evenly sprinkle the entire brown sugar mixture over the bacon strips.
Note: There is no need to flip the bacon, or put seasoning underneath the bacon strips. The glaze will liquefy during baking and seep under on its own.
Place the baking pan in a 375 degree oven and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. Your million dollar bacon is done when it is crisp and beginning to blacken around the edges.
Remove the bacon from the pan and set it on a cooling rack to drain and cool. Be sure to place paper towel underneath, or set the racks over your baking sheet pan.
Tip: Due to the large amount of sugar used, your bacon can burn easily if you overbake, so make sure to monitor it after 25 minutes.
How to reheat million dollar bacon
If you have leftover bacon you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you are ready to enjoy more of your millionaire’s bacon simply reheat the candied strips in a microwave for approximately 15 seconds, or until warmed. It can also be heated in a skillet, but there is a greater risk of it burning.
Ways to customize this recipe
To sweeten up this recipe further you can add a maple syrup drizzle before baking, or as an additional glaze after baking.
If you crave some spicy bacon, double the cayenne pepper or add crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of heat as well.
What to serve with Million Dollar Bacon
Your deliciously sweet and crispy million dollar bacon will make a wonderful addition to your favorite sandwich, or breakfast platter. If you need some inspiration, try serving it with these recipes:
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Million Dollar Bacon (Candied bacon)
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay bacon strips on a large rimmed baking pan lined in a single layer.*
- Mix together brown sugar, black pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the bacon, using all of it.**
- Place bacon in the oven on the center rack and bake for 25-30 minutes. The bacon is done when the thick-cut slices are darkened and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and place bacon strips on wire racks to cool slightly and enjoy.
Leave a Reply