These jalapeno popper twice baked potatoes are creamy, cheesy, and pack that classic jalapeno popper taste you love!
Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
This recipe combines the flavors of a classic twice-baked potato with jalapeno poppers, and they are seriously good eats! Jalapeno poppers have been a favorite appetizer of mine since I’ve been a child so I had pretty high standards for this recipe. Luckily it delivered! The filling really has that satisfying jalapeno popper creamy taste. The first night I made them I ended up eating nothing but these potatoes for an entire meal! I may have gorged, but I’m OK with that.
This recipe is from ShowMetheYummy.com and I absolutely love it. These are probably the best twice baked potatoes I’ve ever had the pleasure to unabashedly devour, and I will certainly be making these again. Next time I may even try roasting a poblano pepper and laying its flesh in the bottom of the carved out potato prior to replacing the filling to replicate that classic pepper crunch I love from poppers!
How to make them
As with any twice baked potato, you need to pre-bake the potatoes in the oven to soften them and scoop out the flesh. For maximum flavor, you will also be roasting the jalapenos as well.
All of the filling ingredients need to be mixed together then loaded back in the potato and topped with cheese. Mixing the filling by hand with a potato masher will get the job done, but using a mixer will make the job faster and easier. Having a good mixer on hand is essential in any kitchen, and this is a perfect recipe to use it for.
Bake for a second time to heat the filling and melt the cheese. This will take approximately 15 minutes. Top with bacon prior to serving.
Can these be made in advance?
Yes, you just need to bake the potatoes, prepare the filling, and load the filling into the potatoes. Then you can store the unfinished potatoes in the refrigerator until you wish to serve them. To finish baking them plan on 30 minutes, instead of 15 minutes, since the filling will be cold.
Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- table salt (to taste)
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (reserve one for topping)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounces package dry Ranch salad dressing and seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 jalapenos
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Chives optional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Piece potato multiple times with a fork and place on baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until fork tender.
- Let cool till cool enough to handle.
- Slice jalapenos in half and place on a baking sheet with the skin facing up.
- Broil on high until skin blackens and blisters.
- Remove from oven and place in bowl covered with a towel and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes to help skin loosen.
- Peel skin off peppers and proceed to chop the remaining flesh.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving enough to allow the potato to maintain a boat shape.
- Place flesh in a large bowl along with mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, seasonings, butter, jalapenos, bacon and 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese.
- Using a potato masher or stand mixer, mix and mash until well combined.
- Scoop the filling back into the potato boats and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese.
- Place back into 425 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with remaining bacon and chives if desired.
If you enjoyed reading this jalapeno popper twice baked potato recipe then you should probably like me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. That’s what I would do at least, because if you don’t get to know me but you still use my recipe it is kind of like taking candy from a stranger, and your mom taught you not to do that. Don’t disobey your mom, subscribe to Fox Valley Foodie today.