Green beans with mushrooms is brimming with a flavorful combination of tender-crisp green beans, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and garlic, and spiked with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
This easy side dish is ready to serve in under 15 minutes with a only few simple ingredients.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Fresh green beans - Frozen green beans can be substituted and cooked according to the package instructions, but avoid using canned beans.
- Olive oil
- Red onion - Large shallots would be a great substitute, as would caramelized onions.
- Sliced baby bella mushrooms - You can substitute any combination of white button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or cremini mushrooms.
- Garlic cloves - You can substitute ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Balsamic vinegar - Red wine vinegar would also be great.
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
How to make it
To make this easy green beans recipe with mushrooms begin by cooking the beans in a large saucepan or saute pan filled with two inches of boiling water. Boil beans for 6-7 minutes, until they are a vibrant green color, but still have a nice crunch.
Remove the beans with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Then drain the water from the pan.
Set the saute pan over medium high heat and add the butter and olive oil. Once the butter has melted, add the sliced onions and fresh mushrooms, then saute until tender. Then add the minced garlic and cook an additional two minutes.
Pour in the balsamic vinegar and stir it into the mushroom mixture until absorbed, then add the green beans, salt, and black pepper. Toss everything to combine, and serve.
Storing & Reheating Leftovers
Leftover green beans and mushrooms can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week. The leftovers reheat easily enough in the microwave that this recipe can be made in advance for a holiday side dish and reheated just prior to serving.
Can you do me a favor? If you enjoyed my post would you mind sharing it with your friends? You can see more of my recipes by liking me on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest too. Otherwise, stay up to date by getting each new post sent directly to your inbox by subscribing today.
Green Beans with Mushrooms
- 12 ounces fresh green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium red onion (sliced)
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms (or assorted sliced mushrooms)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Fill a saute pan with 2" of water and bring to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until the beans are tender-crisp. Then remove the beans and drain the water.
- Set the stovetop to medium-high heat and add butter and oil to the saute pan along with the sliced mushrooms and onions. Saute until tender, then add minced garlic and cook an additional two minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar then stir it into the mushroom mixture until it absorbs.
- Return the beans to the pan with salt and black pepper, then toss to combine. Serve immediately.