This Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the perfect family dinner when you are looking for a no-fuss meal that packs all of your favorite Mexican flavors! Best of all is how well it reheats, so it is perfect for leftovers too!
- Chicken breasts
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- White rice
- Canned enchilada sauce
- Canned green chilies
- Can corn (drained)
- Can black beans (drained)
- Cilantro - Optional as a garnish, but does add fresh flavor.
Tips for making this recipe
My biggest shortcut lately has been using rotisserie chicken, and I used it again for this recipe. You can certainly use any chicken you want, whether that is cooking up some fresh chicken, or using leftovers already in your fridge, however, rotisserie chicken really helps cuts down the effort required to make this casserole.
How to make it
Whenever I make casseroles, I want them to be easy. I think that is the whole purpose of a casserole, it is an easy meal in one dish. This chicken enchilada casserole incorporates easy to use ingredients like canned black beans, corn, and green chilies to ensure prep is effortless.
This recipe fits perfectly in a 9x13" lasagna pan. The rice gets cooked separately, then everything is added to the lasagna pan and mixed together then baked at 350 degrees. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is beginning to brown.
How to reheat it
My chicken enchilada casserole reheats better in the microwave than most meals. I recommend microwaving individual portions separately for best results. Otherwise, you can reheat it in a 350-degree oven, but this time cover it with foil so the top doesn't dry out.
Customize this recipe
Feel free to add and subtractive your preferred ingredients. Mild cheddar cheese would work well as a substitute. Vegetables such as onion and peppers could be chopped and mixed in... raw if you like a crunch, or sauteed.
If you like things spicy, add some sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, or ancho chili powder to the dish. Otherwise, a generous dash of hot sauce is always appropriate.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 cups shredded chicken breasts (cooked)
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups white rice (uncooked)
- 30 oz enchilada sauce
- 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 15 oz can corn (drained)
- 15 oz can black beans (drained)
- Cilantro as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Combine rice with chicken, enchilada sauce, green chilies, corn, and black beans.
- Spread evenly in a 9x13" baking pan and top with cheese.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.